1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits of Integration

1. Nov 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Joint pdf given as kxy for 0 < x < y < 1.

Find the value of k.

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand the process of finding k - doing the double integral and setting it to 1. What I dont understand is the limits of integration for y.

I've seen two different limits set, but I still cannot seem to figure out how and why it is done.

I have seen the integral of x from 0 to 1 and the integral of y from x to 1. I have also seen the integral of x from 0 to 1 and the integral of y from 0 to y. Both give the correct answer of k = 8. My question is how do you go about choosing the limits for the y integral?

Thanks a lot!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2008 #2
    The latter does not make sense; it more likely read "integral of y from 0 to 1 and the integral of x from 0 to y".

The region being integrated over is the triangle with vertices (0,0), (1,1) and (0,1). Using vertical strips, we have the limits

[tex]\int_{x \, = \, 0}^{x=1} \int_{y=x}^{y=1} kxy \, dy \, dx[/tex],

or, using horizontal strips, we have

[tex]\int_{y=0}^{y=1} \int_{x=0}^{x=y} kxy \, dx \, dy[/tex].

(The limits in the integrals read "x=0", "x=1" etc -- the equals signs look like minus signs in this latex, unfortunately; I've included them for clarity.)

Both are equivalent.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?