Finding Limits of Integration for Double Integrals: Can You Help Me?

In summary, the conversation discusses the integration over a tetrahedron bounded by the coordinate planes and a fourth plane. The question asks about the region to integrate over in R^2 and the limits of integration for a double integral. The conversation also explores using vector methods to check the integration answer and the relationship between a tetrahedron and a pyramid. Ultimately, the conversation clarifies the correct volume formula for a tetrahedron and thanks the expert for their help.
Derill03
The question is this:

Consider the tetrahedron which is bounded on three sides by the coordinate planes and on fourth side by plane x+(y/2)+(z/3)=1

I think the region to integrate over should appear in R^2 as a right triangle, is this correct?

Secondly i am having much trouble finding limits of integration for a double integral, can ne one help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Derill03! :smile:

For fixed x and y, what does z vary between?

For fixed x, what does y vary between? :wink:

I get a double integral integrating dydx of the function (3-3x-(3y/2)) from dy|0 to 2-2x and dx|0 to 1

so that would leave a volume of 1

Derill03 said:
I get a double integral integrating dydx of the function (3-3x-(3y/2)) from dy|0 to 2-2x and dx|0 to 1

so that would leave a volume of 1

Looks good! :smile:

On the next part it says to use vector methods to check the integration answer, can you point me in the right direction as to how do i use vector methods to calculate volume?

the only volume formula i know using vectors is triple scalar product (a dot (b cross c).

Derill03 said:
the only volume formula i know using vectors is triple scalar product (a dot (b cross c).

That'll do! :biggrin:

Area of triangle = 1/2 (a x b)

Area of pyramid = 1/6 (a x b).c :wink:

when i do the triple scalar product i get 6 as an answer? the integration way and vector way don't agree, any thoughts on what is wrong?

Derill03 said:
when i do the triple scalar product i get 6 as an answer? the integration way and vector way don't agree, any thoughts on what is wrong?

D'oh! :rolleyes:Area of pyramid = 1/6 (a x b).c

I understand that if you take 1/6 of 6 you will get 1 which does agree, but its confusing to me why an area formula for a pyramid would prove a correct volume of a tetrahedron? Can you explain a little bit why this works

Is it safe to assume that a tetrahedron and a pyramid are geometrically the same?

Derill03 said:
Is it safe to assume that a tetrahedron and a pyramid are geometrically the same?

Pyramid is easier to write :wink:
I understand that if you take 1/6 of 6 you will get 1 which does agree, but its confusing to me why an area formula for a pyramid would prove a correct volume of a tetrahedron? Can you explain a little bit why this works

oh :rolleyes:

I copied-and-pasted the other formula, and forgot to change "area" to "volume" :smile:

now it all makes sense, thank you very much you were a big help

What are the limits of integration?

The limits of integration are the values that define the boundaries of the region over which the integration is being performed. These limits can be numbers, variables, or functions.

How do you determine the limits of integration?

The limits of integration can be determined by identifying the boundaries of the region being integrated over. This can be done by graphing the function or by setting up equations that represent the boundaries.

What happens if the limits of integration are incorrect?

If the limits of integration are incorrect, the result of the integration will also be incorrect. This is because the incorrect limits will result in the integration being performed over a different region than intended.

Can the limits of integration be negative?

Yes, the limits of integration can be negative. The limits can be any real numbers as long as they accurately define the boundaries of the region being integrated over.

What is the purpose of the limits of integration?

The limits of integration are used to specify the region over which the integration is being performed. They allow for the accurate calculation of the definite integral of a function over a specific interval.