1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits of integration

1. Apr 1, 2009 #1
    Find the double integral of:

(x+y)x dxdy

Where R is a quadrilateral with vertices at (-4,-1), (-2,-2) (-1,1) and (-3,2)

**I have done the diagram and i know that there will be two regions R1 and R2 but i am not sure exactly how to find the limits of int. for these two regions, any suggestions?

thanx

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

i drew this quickly, but looks like a rotated square to me, so you could think about a linear variable change to make the limits of integration independent & simple

4. Apr 2, 2009 #3
    How about taking the gradient of the 2 sides of the square? i think that might work. i will give that a try

5. Apr 2, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

i'm not totally sure what you mean...

I was thinking along the lines of new variables u,v, whose level curves are lines parallel to the edges of the squares

6. Apr 2, 2009 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Neither a square nor a rectangle- it is parallelogram. Two sides are of length [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex] and the other two of length [itex]\sqrt{10}[/itex]- and the sides are not perpendicular. However, it can be done as lanedance suggests: The lines through (-2,-2) and (-1,1) and through (-4,-1) and (-3,2) both have slope (1+2)/(-1+2)= 3. The first line is y= 3x+ 4 and the second y= 3x+ 7. If you let u= y- 3x, then the first line is u= -4 and the second u= -7. The lines through (-1, 1) and (-3, 2) and through (-2, -2) and (-4, -1) both have slope (2-1)/(-3+1)= -1/2. The first line is y= -(1/2)x+ 1/2 and the second is y= (-1/2)x- 1. If you let v= y+ (1/2) x, then the first line is v= 1/2 and the second is v= 1. Make that change of variables and don't forget to change the dxdy properly.

7. Apr 2, 2009 #6
    So basically i am solving it for dudv by making that change of variable. sweet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook