Double Integral of (x+y)x over a Quadrilateral Region R

In summary, to find the double integral of (x+y)x dxdy over the quadrilateral with vertices at (-4,-1), (-2,-2), (-1,1), and (-3,2), you can use a change of variables to u and v, where the level curves of u are parallel to the edges of the quadrilateral. This will simplify the limits of integration and allow you to solve for dudv. The quadrilateral is not a square or rectangle, but rather a parallelogram with sides of lengths \sqrt{5} and \sqrt{10} and non-perpendicular sides. The steps to find the double integral are to find the equations of the lines through the vertices, solve for u and
aks_sky
Find the double integral of:

(x+y)x dxdy

Where R is a quadrilateral with vertices at (-4,-1), (-2,-2) (-1,1) and (-3,2)

**I have done the diagram and i know that there will be two regions R1 and R2 but i am not sure exactly how to find the limits of int. for these two regions, any suggestions?

thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
i drew this quickly, but looks like a rotated square to me, so you could think about a linear variable change to make the limits of integration independent & simple

How about taking the gradient of the 2 sides of the square? i think that might work. i will give that a try

i'm not totally sure what you mean...

I was thinking along the lines of new variables u,v, whose level curves are lines parallel to the edges of the squares

Neither a square nor a rectangle- it is parallelogram. Two sides are of length [itex]\sqrt{5}[/itex] and the other two of length [itex]\sqrt{10}[/itex]- and the sides are not perpendicular. However, it can be done as lanedance suggests: The lines through (-2,-2) and (-1,1) and through (-4,-1) and (-3,2) both have slope (1+2)/(-1+2)= 3. The first line is y= 3x+ 4 and the second y= 3x+ 7. If you let u= y- 3x, then the first line is u= -4 and the second u= -7. The lines through (-1, 1) and (-3, 2) and through (-2, -2) and (-4, -1) both have slope (2-1)/(-3+1)= -1/2. The first line is y= -(1/2)x+ 1/2 and the second is y= (-1/2)x- 1. If you let v= y+ (1/2) x, then the first line is v= 1/2 and the second is v= 1. Make that change of variables and don't forget to change the dxdy properly.

So basically i am solving it for dudv by making that change of variable. sweet

1. What are the limits of integration?

The limits of integration refer to the upper and lower bounds of the independent variable in an integral. These bounds define the range over which the integral will be evaluated.

2. How do I determine the limits of integration?

The limits of integration are typically determined by the problem or equation you are trying to solve. They can be given as specific values, or they can be determined by the boundaries of the region or function being integrated.

3. Can the limits of integration be negative?

Yes, the limits of integration can be positive, negative, or a combination of both. This depends on the problem or equation being solved and the range of the independent variable.

4. What happens if the limits of integration are not specified?

If the limits of integration are not specified, the integral will be evaluated over the entire range of the independent variable. This may not always give an accurate or meaningful result, so it is important to determine the appropriate limits for the specific problem.

5. Can the limits of integration change during an integral?

No, the limits of integration are fixed for a given integral. They cannot change during the integration process. However, the limits can vary for different integrals of the same function or for different regions or domains being integrated.