Finding Limits of Sequences: How to Determine N Values for Given Conditions

In summary, we have a sequence a_n=\frac{n}{\alpha^n} where \alpha>1, and we assert that as n increases, the sequence tends to the limit 0. We also consider the sequence \sqrt{a_n}=\frac{\sqrt{n}}{(\sqrt{\alpha})^n}. By manipulating the terms, we can show that a_n\leq \frac{1}{nh^2} and thus a_n \rightarrow 0. With this in mind, we can find numbers N_1, N_2, N_3 such that (a) \frac{n}{2^n}<\frac{1}{10} for every n>N_1, (b)
courtrigrad
Hello all:

Given [tex] a_n = \frac {n}{\alpha^n} [/tex] and [tex] \alpha [/tex] is a number greater than 1, we assert as n increases the sequence of numbers [tex] a_n = \frac {n}{\alpha^n} [/tex] tends to the limit 0.

Let us consider the sequence [tex] \sqrt a_n = \frac {\sqrt n}{(\sqrt \alpha)^n}[/tex]

We put [tex] \sqrt \alpha = 1+h [/tex] where [tex] h > 0 [/tex]

[tex] \sqrt \alpha^n = (1+h)^n > 1+nh [/tex]

[tex]\sqrt a_n = \frac {\sqrt n}{(1+h)^n} \leq \frac {\sqrt n}{1+nh} \leq \frac {\sqrt n}{nh} = \frac {1}{h\sqrt n} [/tex]

[tex] a_n \leq \frac {1}{nh^2} [/tex] and [tex] a_n \rightarrow 0 [/tex]

Now my question is: Suppose you are asked to find numbers [tex] N_1, N_2, N_3 [/tex] such that

(a) [tex]\frac {n}{2^n} < \frac {1}{10}[/tex] for every [tex] n > N_1 [/tex]
(b) [tex]\frac {n}{2^n} < \frac {1}{100}[/tex] for every [tex] n > N_2 [/tex]
(c) [tex]\frac {n}{2^n} < \frac {1}{1000}[/tex] for every [tex] n > N_3 [/tex]

Do I have to guess and check for these numbers or can I somehow use the proof of this sequence? Because what if [tex] \epsilon [/tex] becomes smaller and smaller? Then there must be some method to find [tex] N_1, N_2, N_3 [/tex]

Thanks a lot for any help or advice

EDIT: Its [tex] \frac {n}{2^n} < \frac {1}{10} [/tex] for every [tex] n > N_1 [/tex] and the same with the others

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your case here: [tex]\alpha = 2[/tex] Solve for h.

You want [tex]a_n<\frac{1}{10}[/tex]. If you know that [tex]\frac{1}{nh^2}<\frac{1}{10}[/tex] then that means that [tex]a_n<\frac{1}{10}[/tex].

So from [tex]\frac{1}{nh^2}<\frac{1}{10}[/tex] you can get the n value you need. This will give you an N1 such that if n>N1, [tex]a_n<\frac{1}{10}[/tex]

But are you looking for the minimum N1 such that if n>N1 then [tex]a_n<\frac{1}{10}[/tex], or are you just looking for any N1 such that if n>N1 then [tex]a_n<\frac{1}{10}[/tex]? If you're looking for the minimum N1, then you might want to want to calculate [tex]a_{N1}[/tex] and make sure that it is >=1/10.

i am looking for the minimum [tex] N_1 [/tex]

I know that for part (a) [tex] N_1 = 6 [/tex] buy why?

Thanks

Last edited:
courtrigrad said:
i am looking for the minimum [tex] N_1 [/tex]

Then I think you'd just have to plug it in and check.

Are you trying to do an epsilon-delta proof to show that the limit is 0? Then it is sufficient to show that for every epsilon>0, there is some N such that for n>N |a(n)-0|<epsilon or in other words show that a(n)<epsilon. I'm guess that the 1/10, 1/100 are different choices for epsilon?

any other ideas?

thanks

so i take it that the only way to find the smallest numbers would be by guess and check? Because after solving for n i get 64.

This is from Courant's book by the way (i am a high school student)

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks anyway for your help

Same concept Different Limit

Ok so let's say we have [tex] a_n = \sqrt n+1 - \sqrt n [/tex] and we want to find numbers [tex] N_1, N_2, N_3 [/tex] such that

[tex] \sqrt n+1 - \sqrt n < \frac {1}{10}[/tex] for every [tex] n > N_1 [/tex]
[tex] \sqrt n+1 - \sqrt n < \frac {1}{100}[/tex] for every [tex] n > N_2 [/tex]
[tex] \sqrt n+1 - \sqrt n < \frac {1}{1000}[/tex] for every [tex] n > N_3 [/tex]

Now since [tex] \sqrt n+1 - \sqrt n = \frac {(\sqrt n+1 - \sqrt n)(\sqrt n+1 + \sqrt n)}{\sqrt n+1 + \sqrt n} = \frac {1}{\sqrt n+1 + \sqrt n}

How would i obtain [tex] N_1, N_2 ,N_3 [/tex]?

PS: I know if I solve the equation I get a [tex] N_1 N_2 N_3 [/tex] but I want to get the least of all of them

Any help is appreciated (as with the first one do I just guess and check?)

Thanks

hmmm, i i think i have to substitute values in lless than the solved value?

thanks

1. What is the definition of a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers, typically infinite, that follow a specific pattern or rule. Each number in the sequence is called a term.

2. How do you find the limit of a sequence?

To find the limit of a sequence, you need to determine the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the sequence continues. This can be done by examining the pattern of the terms and using mathematical techniques, such as the squeeze theorem, to determine the limit.

3. What is the importance of finding limits of sequences?

Finding limits of sequences is important in understanding the behavior of a sequence as it continues indefinitely. It can also help in determining convergence or divergence of a sequence, which has applications in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering.

4. What are the common conditions for finding the limit of a sequence?

The common conditions for finding the limit of a sequence include the behavior of the terms as n approaches infinity, the ratio or difference between consecutive terms, and the presence of exponentials or factorials in the sequence.

5. How can I determine the value of n for a given condition?

To determine the value of n for a given condition, you can use algebraic manipulation and mathematical techniques to solve for n. This may involve rearranging the terms of the sequence, factoring, or using properties of limits.