1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits of sequences

1. Dec 14, 2012 #1
    In this link:

http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/~johnsonb/Welcome_files/104/104hw3sum06.pdf [Broken]

For number 8.4...

Why don't we just say...

[tex]|s_n||t_n| < \frac{\epsilon}{M} M = \epsilon[/tex]?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you mean, choose N0 such that if n> N0 then [itex]|s_n|< \frac{\epsilon}{M}[/itex] rather than M+1, that would, give us [itex]|s_nt_n|= \epsilon[/itex], not "<" which is required for the definition of convergence.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  4. Dec 14, 2012 #3
    No I didn't say that...

I said [tex]|s_nt_n| < \frac{\epsilon}{M} M = \epsilon [/tex]. So the first sign is an inequality.

5. Dec 14, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, you are right about what you said and I have edited my post to remove "as you said". But you are incorrect that it would be "<". You would have, instead, "=", as I said.

6. Dec 14, 2012 #5
    Probably because "we" didn't think that closely when "we" wrote that paper. If you ensure that ##|s_n|<\frac\epsilon M## what you actually get is
    $$
    |s_nt_n| = |s_n|\cdot|t_n| < \frac\epsilon M\cdot|t_n| \leq \frac\epsilon M\cdot M = \epsilon,
    $$
    which is what you have yourself.

If you look at that paper again, you'll see that the author writes
    $$
    \begin{eqnarray*}
    |s_nt_n − 0| & = & |s_n| \cdot |t_n| \\
    & < & \left|\frac\epsilon{M + 1}\right| \cdot |M| \\
    & < & \epsilon.
    \end{eqnarray*}
    $$
    Why did he suddenly need absolute values in the middle line? I think he probably didn't proofread what he'd written.

7. Dec 14, 2012 #6

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook