Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits of the universe

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    I am not a physics student, nor do I work in the field. I do however have a strong interest in understanding physics at a conceptual level (as in laymans explanations). I am struggling to understand/reconcile the idea that the universe began with the "big bang" (I understand this is not actually an accurate term) and has been expanding ever since. Given that as a accepted premise, my thinking goes to the the question of the limits of the universe. Assuming it (the universe) started out very small, a very large "space" must have existed within which the universe began to, and continues to expand. How is that "space" characterized ? Are there (proposed ?) theoretical limits to the future expansion of the universe based on any definition of the size of this original "space" within which it is housed ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2010 #2

sylas

Science Advisor

The expansion of the universe is not an expansion into a pre-existing space. It is just everything moving away from everything else, with no apparent edge or boundary to the expansion. It follows that space itself is expanding as well.

Cheers -- sylas

4. Jan 6, 2010 #3
    Read my explanation in this thread

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook