1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits of trig functions

1. Oct 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    lim as x approaches 2
    (cos(pi/x))/(x-2)

lim as x approaches pi/4
    (tan(x)-1)/(x-(pi/4))

2. Relevant equations

equations above

3. The attempt at a solution
    for the first limit, i tried substituting t = (pi/2)-(pi/x) but i got stuck

i have no idea how to do the second limit

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Are you allowed to use L'Hopital's Rule?

4. Oct 21, 2009 #3
    no, i can only evaluate the limit as it is,

i was thinking of using t = pi/2 - pi/x and substituting the pi/x so i have an identity, but i don't think that will work

i have no idea on the second one, only changing tanx to sinx/cosx

5. Oct 21, 2009 #4

Mark44

Well, phooey.
    I don't have any ideas for the first one, but I believe the limit is pi/4 (using Excel to compute a few values for t near 2).

6. Oct 21, 2009 #5
    i was thinking of evaluating the limit of t at 2, so the answer would be zero, then substitute t in for pi/x and take the limit as t approaches 0

does this help?

7. Oct 21, 2009 #6

Mark44

I don't understand what you're saying. Can you elaborate in the context of your problem?

8. Oct 21, 2009 #7
    For the first one, let u=[itex]\pi[/itex]/x. Then use the identity cos u = sin([itex]\pi[/itex]/2 - u) and rewrite the denominator so you have [itex]\pi[/itex]/2 - u in it. Use another substitution with [itex]\pi[/itex]/2 - u and you should get something like sinx/x. Don't forget to change the limits after a substitution.

9. Oct 21, 2009 #8
    well after saying t = pi/2 - pi/x, i would then evaluate the limit of t at x=2 and get 0, since pi/2 - pi/2 = 0

then, i would substitute the pi/x in the cos and put pi/2 - t in the cos function to get

(cos(pi/2 - t))/(x-2), then i would take the limit as t approaches 0 since the lim as x approaches 2 of t = 0. one problem is the x in the denominator, so then i would have to solve for x in t = pi/2 - pi/x

seeing that cos(pi/2 - t) is an identity, i would substitute that for the identity itself and solve but i can't get an answer

i also thought that a common identity is cos(pi/2 - theta) = sin theta, so i also tried to apply that to cos(pi/2 - t) to get sin(t), but i also don't get an answer

10. Oct 21, 2009 #9

Mark44

This is what I was having trouble with. You don't take the limit of t at x=2. You take the limit of t, as t approaches something.

11. Oct 21, 2009 #10
    yeah i got my wording mixed up

bohrok, could you elaborate on your method a little more

thanks

12. Oct 21, 2009 #11
    u=[itex]\pi[/itex]/x
    limx→2 [itex]\pi[/itex]/x = [itex]\pi[/itex]/2, so use lim as u→[itex]\pi[/itex]/2 in the new limit after the substitution.
    [tex]\lim_{u\rightarrow \pi/2}\frac{\cos u}{\frac{\pi}{u} - 2} = \lim_{u\rightarrow \pi/2}\frac{\sin(\frac{\pi}{2} - u)}{\frac{\pi}{u} - 2} = \lim_{u\rightarrow \pi/2}\frac{\sin(\frac{\pi}{2} - u)} {\frac{2}{u}(\frac{\pi}{2} - u)}[/tex]

Then use t = [itex]\pi[/itex]/2 - u so you can finally use the limit sin(t)/t

13. Oct 21, 2009 #12
    The second one is involved, at least the way I did it.

First I wrote tanx as sinx/cosx and wrote the numerator as one fraction. The part I worked with that's making it indeterminate was (cosx-sinx)/(x-[itex]\pi[/itex]/4)
    Multiply by the conjugate and use the identity with cos2x, let t=2x, then use the identity cosθ = sin([itex]\pi[/itex]/2 - θ). Use another substitution so you get a limit with sinx/x.

14. Oct 22, 2009 #13
    Hi Bohrok,

I'm just evaluating this limit for fun. Could you please reveal the last substitution which you made to get [tex] \frac{\sin x}{x} [/tex]?

Thanks.

15. Oct 22, 2009 #14
    Once you get to the equation with [itex]\cos(2x)[/itex], you can multiply top and bottom by 2 to get the desired form. There may be another substitution that would do the same thing.

16. Oct 22, 2009 #15
    [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \pi/4} \frac{\tan x - 1}{x - \frac{\pi}{4}} = \lim_{x\rightarrow \pi/4} \frac{\frac{\sin x}{\cos x} - \frac{\cos x}{\cos x}}{x - \frac{\pi}{4}} = \lim_{x\rightarrow \pi/4} \frac{\cos x - \sin x}{x - \frac{\pi}{4}} \times \frac{-1}{\cos x}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\cos x - \sin x}{x - \frac{\pi}{4}} \times \frac{\cos x + \sin x}{\cos x + \sin x} = \frac{\cos^2x - \sin^2x}{(x - \frac{\pi}{4})(\cos x + \sin x)} = \frac{\cos2x}{x - \frac{\pi}{4}} \times \frac{1}{\cos x + \sin x}[/tex]

Let u = 2x and x = u/2. As x→[itex]\pi[/itex]/4, u→[itex]\pi[/itex]/2

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow \pi/4} \frac{\cos2x}{x - \frac{\pi}{4}} = \lim_{u\rightarrow \pi/2} \frac{\cos u}{\frac{u}{2} - \frac{\pi}{4}} = \lim_{u\rightarrow \pi/2} \frac{\sin(\frac{\pi}{2} - u)}{(-\frac{1}{2})(\frac{\pi}{2} - u)}[/tex]

Let t = [itex]\pi[/itex]/2 - u. As u→[itex]\pi[/itex]/2, t→0

[tex]\lim_{u\rightarrow \pi/2} \frac{\sin(\frac{\pi}{2} - u)}{\frac{\pi}{2} - u} = \lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin t}{t}[/tex]

And that takes care of the 0/0 part of the limit. Put everything together and you can find the limit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook