Limits Of Upper And Lower Sums

In summary, The squeeze theorem states that when finding areas under graphs using summations, the choice of x in the ith sub-interval does not affect the limit because the same limit value is attained for both the minimum value f(mi) and the maximum value f(Mi). This is due to the fact that f(mi)≤f(xi)≤f(Mi), allowing for the middle sum to be squeezed by the other two sums.
Bashyboy
I am currently reading about finding areas under graphs using summations, specifically taking the of the number of rectangles, n, goes to infinity. My books says that "because the same limit value is attained for both minimum value f(mi) and the maximum value f(Mi), it follows from the squeeze theorem that the choice of x in the ith sub-interval does not affect the limit." Why does the squeeze theorem say that I can do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose another way of wording my question is why can I choose any x-value in the sub-interval.

Because f(mi)≤f(xi)≤f(Mi).

Then summing, the middle sum is squeezed by the other two sums.

What are upper and lower sums?

Upper and lower sums are mathematical concepts used to approximate the area under a curve or the value of a function. They are calculated by dividing the curve into smaller intervals and finding the maximum and minimum values within each interval, respectively.

What is the purpose of calculating upper and lower sums?

The purpose of calculating upper and lower sums is to estimate the exact value of a function or the area under a curve, especially when the function or curve is difficult to integrate. They provide a closer approximation to the actual value as the number of intervals increases.

How do upper and lower sums differ?

Upper and lower sums differ in the way they are calculated. Upper sums use the maximum value of each interval to approximate the area, while lower sums use the minimum value. This results in an overestimation and underestimation, respectively, of the actual value.

What is the relationship between upper and lower sums?

The relationship between upper and lower sums is that as the number of intervals decreases, the upper sum will approach the lower sum and both will approach the actual value. This is known as the squeeze theorem and is used to prove the convergence of upper and lower sums to the exact value.

How are upper and lower sums used in real-life applications?

Upper and lower sums are used in real-life applications to approximate the area under a curve in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and statistics. They are also used in financial calculations, such as estimating the profit or loss of an investment over a period of time.