Limits of x/ln(x): Solving Confusion

• Thread starter masterchiefo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the conversation is about solving two limit problems involving x/ln(x) as x approaches 1 from the left and right. The person is having trouble understanding why ln(1) equals 0, but it is a known fact about the logarithmic function. They mention using a graph to solve the limits and wanting to solve it algebraically.
masterchiefo

Homework Statement

Hello all,

I am having hard time with limits.

1. limx->1- x/ln(x)

2. limx->1+ x/ln(x)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. limx->1- x/ln(x)
= 1-/ln(1-)
ln(1-) = 0-

I seriously don't understand why ln(1-) = 0-

2. limx->1+ x/ln(x)
= 1+/ln(1+)
ln(1+) = 0+

I seriously don't understand why ln(1+) = 0+thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know what the natural logarithm graph looks like?

axmls said:
Do you know what the natural logarithm graph looks like?
yes I do, doing limits with a graph is easy, I have to resolve this by doing algebra.

You say you don't understand why ln(1) = 0. This is common knowledge about the logarithmic function. You have a function approaching 0 in the denominator and a function approaching 1 in the numerator. What does that tell you?

1. What is the limit of x/ln(x) as x approaches infinity?

The limit of x/ln(x) as x approaches infinity is equal to infinity. This means that as x gets larger and larger, the value of x/ln(x) also gets larger and larger without bound.

2. Can the limit of x/ln(x) be negative?

No, the limit of x/ln(x) cannot be negative. This is because ln(x) is always positive for positive values of x, and dividing by a positive number will always result in a positive value.

3. How do you solve for the limit of x/ln(x)?

To solve for the limit of x/ln(x), you can use the L'Hopital's rule, which states that if the limit of f(x)/g(x) as x approaches a is indeterminate (i.e. 0/0 or infinity/infinity), then the limit of f(x)/g(x) is equal to the limit of f'(x)/g'(x) as x approaches a. In the case of x/ln(x), the limit of x/ln(x) as x approaches infinity is indeterminate, so you can use L'Hopital's rule to find the limit.

4. What is the behavior of x/ln(x) as x approaches 0?

The behavior of x/ln(x) as x approaches 0 is more complicated. While the limit of x/ln(x) as x approaches 0 is equal to 0, the function itself is undefined at x=0. This is because ln(x) is undefined for x=0, and dividing by 0 results in an undefined value. Therefore, the limit of x/ln(x) as x approaches 0 is 0, but the function is not defined at x=0.

5. Can the limit of x/ln(x) be evaluated without using calculus?

Yes, the limit of x/ln(x) can be evaluated without using calculus. One method is to use the squeeze theorem, which states that if f(x) is between g(x) and h(x) for all values of x, and the limit of g(x) and h(x) as x approaches a is equal to L, then the limit of f(x) as x approaches a is also equal to L. In the case of x/ln(x), you can show that 1/ln(x) is between 1/x and 1/(x^2) for all values of x, and the limits of 1/x and 1/(x^2) as x approaches infinity are both equal to 0. Therefore, the limit of 1/ln(x) is also equal to 0, and by the squeeze theorem, the limit of x/ln(x) as x approaches infinity is also equal to 0.