Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Limits on interferometers

1. Sep 13, 2017 #1
    Is there a limit to optical space interferometry? I read this article
    https://www.noao.edu/meetings/interferometry/workshop-files/Carpenter-Space-comp.pdf about future concepts(which i think is really good). I'm wondering, can optical interferometers have a length of more than 1 light second.....could you place 3 say in the asteroid belt and have a 2 AU resolution

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2017 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

None of the proposed missions there was realized, and there is no space interferometry mission actively in preparation (unless you count LISA Pathfinder / LISA).

LISA was originally planned with 5 million km baseline, as NASA stopped contributing ESA scaled it down to 3 million km (10 light seconds), so you can do interferometry over these distances.

The solar wind at 1 AU is 19 orders of magnitude less dense than the atmosphere, 100 million km in space have the same area density as 100 nm of (sea level) air, so I wouldn't expect problems from seeing.

Very sparse interferometers tend to have significant side-lobes - you get a good resolution at the place you are looking at, but you also get light from elsewhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted