1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits! (one algebreic, two Trig)

1. Sep 13, 2004 #1
    Well I just started to learn limits in my calculus class, and I'm getting it fairly well, but I'm a bit confused on these three:

1) the limit of (x^5 - 32)/(x-2) as x approaches 2.
    The problem I have here is factoring the (x^5 - 32) part. Once I can get that factored I think I can handle the rest. :D

2) what is the limit of xsecx as x appraoches pi.
    I simplified that to x(1/cosx) but that really got me nowhere.

3) and, last but not least, what is the limit of (1-tanx)/(sinx-cosx) as x approaches pi/4?
    I broke this one down to [(2 sin 2x)/2x)(mx/3 sin 3x)], but I don't know where to go from there.

The two basic trig fxns I learned are:
    the limit of sin x/x as x approaches 0 is equal to one
    the limit of (1-cos x)/x as x approaches 0 is equal to zero

If anybody coiuld please lend me their wisdom, lead me into the right direction, I would be forever grateful. Thank you!
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2004 #2

Homework Helper

Did you try substituting for 2 before trying to transform the expression, you must first try and see if it will create an inderterminate form, i see 0/16 which is 0
  4. Sep 13, 2004 #3
    YEah, I typed the problem wrong, but I edited it. And yes I did plug in, and got 0/0 so now that means I need to factor further, so... heh.
  5. Sep 13, 2004 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You might recognize (y^n - q)/(y-1) as the sum of a geometric series and go from there. If not, try dividing x - 2 directly into x^5 - 32. You should see a pattern emerge even before you finish it! :-)
  6. Sep 14, 2004 #5
    Have you not learned the Product Rule and Quotient Rule? If you know these two rules, solving the problems you posted will only be a matter of plugging in the value of x.
  7. Sep 14, 2004 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it's not. Problem 2 can be handled that way, but problems 1 and 3 both have denominators that are 0 at the "target" point and so the quotient rule does not apply (in fact, it doesn't apply in all the interesting cases!).

Alethia was correct- you need to factor (x5- 32).

In general, xn-an can be factored as
    (x-a)(xn-1+ axn-2+ a2xn-3+...+an-2x+ an-1).
    x5- 32= (x-2)(x4+ 2x3+ 4x2+ 8x+ 16).

I'm not at all sure how Alethia got the "3x" and "2x" in the 3rd problem (nor what "m" is!). Since tan(x)= sin(x)/cos(x), 1- tan(x)= 1- sin(x)/cos(x)=
    (cos(x)- sin(x))/cos(x) so (for x not &pi/4)

(1- tan(x))/(sin(x)- cos(x))= ((cos(x)- sin(x))/cos(x))(1/(sin(x)- cos(x)) and that should be easy.
  8. Sep 14, 2004 #7
    Thank you everyone! I think I just factored wrong on the first one. I used synthetic, but I kept getting the wrong answer, but I get it now. :D
  9. Sep 14, 2004 #8
    Woops, sorry for the blunder I made. I'll try to be more careful in the future.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?