Limits (one algebreic, two Trig)

In summary, the conversation discusses three problems involving limits in calculus. The first problem involves factoring an expression, while the second and third problems involve using the quotient rule to solve for the limit. The conversation also mentions two basic trigonometric functions that can be used to solve these types of problems. The final solution involves factoring the expression and using the quotient rule to find the limit.
Alethia
Well I just started to learn limits in my calculus class, and I'm getting it fairly well, but I'm a bit confused on these three:

1) the limit of (x^5 - 32)/(x-2) as x approaches 2.
The problem I have here is factoring the (x^5 - 32) part. Once I can get that factored I think I can handle the rest. :D

2) what is the limit of xsecx as x appraoches pi.
I simplified that to x(1/cosx) but that really got me nowhere.

3) and, last but not least, what is the limit of (1-tanx)/(sinx-cosx) as x approaches pi/4?
I broke this one down to [(2 sin 2x)/2x)(mx/3 sin 3x)], but I don't know where to go from there.

The two basic trig fxns I learned are:
the limit of sin x/x as x approaches 0 is equal to one
and
the limit of (1-cos x)/x as x approaches 0 is equal to zero

If anybody coiuld please lend me their wisdom, lead me into the right direction, I would be forever grateful. Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) the limit of (x^5 - 32)/9x-2) as x approaches 2.
The problem I have here is factoring the (x^5 - 32) part. Once I can get that factored I think I can handle the rest. :D

Did you try substituting for 2 before trying to transform the expression, you must first try and see if it will create an inderterminate form, i see 0/16 which is 0

Cyclovenom said:
Did you try substituting for 2 before trying to transform the expression, you must first try and see if it will create an inderterminate form, i see 0/16 which is 0
YEah, I typed the problem wrong, but I edited it. And yes I did plug in, and got 0/0 so now that means I need to factor further, so... heh.

You might recognize (y^n - q)/(y-1) as the sum of a geometric series and go from there. If not, try dividing x - 2 directly into x^5 - 32. You should see a pattern emerge even before you finish it! :-)

Have you not learned the http://www.math.hmc.edu/calculus/tutorials/prodrule/ and http://www.math.hmc.edu/calculus/tutorials/quotient_rule/? If you know these two rules, solving the problems you posted will only be a matter of plugging in the value of x.

recon said:
Have you not learned the http://www.math.hmc.edu/calculus/tutorials/prodrule/ and http://www.math.hmc.edu/calculus/tutorials/quotient_rule/? If you know these two rules, solving the problems you posted will only be a matter of plugging in the value of x.

No, it's not. Problem 2 can be handled that way, but problems 1 and 3 both have denominators that are 0 at the "target" point and so the quotient rule does not apply (in fact, it doesn't apply in all the interesting cases!).

Alethia was correct- you need to factor (x5- 32).

In general, xn-an can be factored as
(x-a)(xn-1+ axn-2+ a2xn-3+...+an-2x+ an-1).
x5- 32= (x-2)(x4+ 2x3+ 4x2+ 8x+ 16).

I'm not at all sure how Alethia got the "3x" and "2x" in the 3rd problem (nor what "m" is!). Since tan(x)= sin(x)/cos(x), 1- tan(x)= 1- sin(x)/cos(x)=
(cos(x)- sin(x))/cos(x) so (for x not &pi/4)

(1- tan(x))/(sin(x)- cos(x))= ((cos(x)- sin(x))/cos(x))(1/(sin(x)- cos(x)) and that should be easy.

Thank you everyone! I think I just factored wrong on the first one. I used synthetic, but I kept getting the wrong answer, but I get it now. :D

Woops, sorry for the blunder I made. I'll try to be more careful in the future.

What is a limit in algebra?

A limit in algebra is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as it approaches a specific value. It is used to determine the value that a function approaches as its inputs get closer and closer to a certain value.

How do you find the limit of a function in algebra?

To find the limit of a function in algebra, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, simplifying, and substitution. You can also use the limit laws, which state that the limit of a sum, difference, product, or quotient of two functions is equal to the sum, difference, product, or quotient of their respective limits.

What is a trigonometric limit?

A trigonometric limit is a limit involving trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. It describes the behavior of these functions as their inputs approach a specific value.

How do you evaluate a trigonometric limit?

To evaluate a trigonometric limit, you can use algebraic techniques and trigonometric identities to simplify the expression. You can also use the Squeeze Theorem, which states that if two functions have the same limit at a certain point, then any function squeezed between them will also have the same limit at that point.

What are some real-life applications of limits?

Limits have many real-life applications, such as in physics, where they are used to describe the behavior of objects moving at a constant speed or changing direction. They are also used in economics to model supply and demand, and in engineering to calculate rates of change and optimize designs.