Evaluating Limits: Tools for Dealing with Complex Series

In summary: Yes, if you know the formula for the sum of a series then you can use it directly to calculate the limit. In this case, the formula for the sum of the series is already known, so it can be used directly to calculate the limit.
estro
By what tools can we evaluate limits like this:
Lim (sin((n+1)/n^2) + sin((n+2)/n^2) + ... + sin((2n)/n^2)) as n->infinity

I've played around with Maclaurin polynomials, squeeze and Stolz–Cesàro theorems...

Physics news on Phys.org
I would say that the limit is 0 and would reach this conclusion by looking at the value of each term as n --> ∞. I don't know if there's a specific method for this kind of limit.

ƒ(x) said:
I would say that the limit is 0 and would reach this conclusion by looking at the value of each term as n --> ∞. I don't know if there's a specific method for this kind of limit.

Each term goes to zero but the number of terms goes to infinity, so that's not good enough. On the other hand this problem doesn't look all that subtle. Just estimate an upper bound for the size of the nth sum.

Last edited:
the best estimate I was able to get is 1<=limit<=2

Well, that is not so bad, since the limit equals 3/2 :)

Using [tex]\sin x = x + \mathcal{O}(x^3)[/tex], we get

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^n\sin\left(\frac{n+i}{n^2}\right)=\sum_{i=0}^n \frac{n+i}{n^2}+\mathcal{O}\left(\frac{1}{n^3}\right)=\frac{3(n+1)}{2n}+\mathcal{O}\left(\frac{1}{n^3}\right)\to\frac{3}{2}[/tex].

Landau said:
Well, that is not so bad, since the limit equals 3/2 :)

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^n\sin\left(\frac{n+i}{n^2}\right)=\sum_{i=0}^n \frac{n+i}{n^2}[/tex].

I can't understand why this true?

I can't understand why this true?

It is not true, but that's not what he wrote. Don't forget that big O added to that term. What he has done is expand the sine using its power series. If you do that you will notice that the first term is (n+i)/n^2 while the rest is of order n^-3 or smaller.

Thanks!

You should quote correctly ;)
Landau said:

[tex]\sum_{i=0}^n\sin\left(\frac{n+i}{n^2}\right)=\sum_{i=0}^n \frac{n+i}{n^2}+\mathcal{O}\left(\frac{1}{n^3}\right)[/tex]

Landau said:
You should quote correctly ;)

I still have hard time understanding this =( (I'm new to taylor series)
By the way I trying to calculate series limit...

Well, tell us what you don't understand? Do you understand sin x = x + O(x^3), i.e. do you know the taylor series of the sine?

Landau said:
Well, tell us what you don't understand? Do you understand sin x = x + O(x^3), i.e. do you know the taylor series of the sine?
I Don't understand these points:
1. [tex] \sum_ {i=0}^n \frac{n+i}{n^2}+\mathcal{O}\left(\frac{1}{n^3}\right)=\frac{3(n+1)}{2n}+\mathcal{O}\left(\frac{1}{n^ 3}\right)[/tex]
2. How can we approximate series using Taylor polynomials? (they don't have derivative)

Thanks!

Last edited:
The only approximation that is made, is sin x = x +O(x^3). The rest is just substituting in the sum. I used that

[tex]\sum_ {i=0}^n \frac{n+i}{n^2}=\frac{3(n+1)}{2n}.[/tex]

This is easily calculated if you know that

[tex]\sum_ {i=0}^n i=\frac{n(n+1)}{2}.[/tex]

Oh thanks,
but can we use this directly on a series?

1. What does it mean to play hard to get in a relationship?

Playing hard to get in a relationship means intentionally creating barriers or challenges in order to make oneself appear more desirable and to create a sense of pursuit from the other person.

2. Is playing hard to get effective in attracting a partner?

The effectiveness of playing hard to get in attracting a partner is debatable. Some studies suggest that it can increase perceived desirability, while others suggest it can backfire and decrease interest.

3. How do I know if someone is playing hard to get or just not interested?

It can be difficult to determine if someone is truly playing hard to get or if they are simply not interested. Look for consistent patterns of behavior and communication, and pay attention to how much effort they make to spend time with you.

4. Is playing hard to get a healthy or manipulative behavior?

Playing hard to get can be seen as manipulative behavior, as it involves intentionally manipulating someone's feelings and actions. However, if done in a respectful and honest manner, it can also be seen as a healthy way to set boundaries and maintain self-respect.

5. How do I stop playing hard to get and be more open in a relationship?

The first step to stop playing hard to get is to be honest with yourself about your intentions and feelings. Communicate openly and directly with your partner, and try to let go of any fears or insecurities that may be causing you to play hard to get. Practice being vulnerable and open in your communication and actions.