Exploring Alternative Solutions to a Limit Equation

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
Your solution is correct (I used L'Hopital's Rule), but I don't see a way to do it without using L'Hopital's rule or series. You could also use the generalized binomial series I suppose, but that's no simpler than your series for log.Thanks for trying the problem. I am not sure about the generalized binomial series, i am not familiar with it. :smile:
Saitama

Homework Statement

[tex]\stackrel{lim}{x→0}[\frac{(1+x)^{1/x}}{e}]^{1/x}[/tex]
(its the whole term to the power 1/x, can somebody tell me the correct latex code?)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have actually solved the problem but i am trying to find an alternative to do it.
My attempt:
(I am dropping the limit word just to make it easier for me to write)
let
[tex]y=\stackrel{lim}{x→0}[\frac{(1+x)^{1/x}}{e}]^{1/x}[/tex]
[tex]lny=\frac{1}{x}[\frac{ln(1+x)-x}{x}][/tex]
Using the series of ln(1+x), taking out the common factor x^2 and applying the limit, i get
[tex]lny=\frac{-1}{2}[/tex]
[tex]y=e^{\frac{-1}{2}}[/tex]

Is it possible that i can solve it without using the series expansion of ln(1+x)? Also, i am not allowed to use the L'Hôpital's rule.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

(its the whole term to the power 1/x, can somebody tell me the correct latex code?)
Instead of using \stackrel, just use \lim_{x → 0}, like this:
$$ \lim_{x \to 0}[\frac{(1+x)^{1/x}}{e}]^{1/x}$$
Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Equations

I have actually solved the problem but i am trying to find an alternative to do it.
My attempt:
let
Let y = the expression inside the limit. Don't include the limit at this step.
Pranav-Arora said:
The above might be wrong. You have skipped quite a few steps here, so I'm not following what you did.

What happened to the inner 1/x exponent? What happened to the e in the denominator?
Pranav-Arora said:
Using the series of ln(1+x), taking out the common factor x^2 and applying the limit, i get

Is it possible that i can solve it without using the series expansion of ln(1+x)? Also, i am not allowed to use the L'Hôpital's rule.

Thanks!

This really should go in the Calc & Beyond section - I'm moving it there.

Pranav-Arora said:

Mark44 said:
The above might be wrong. You have skipped quite a few steps here, so I'm not following what you did.

What happened to the inner 1/x exponent? What happened to the e in the denominator?

Quite sure this is correct, as I get the same expression after simplification. Using logarithm properties, 1/e becomes -1 and the expression boils down to this.

Pranav-Arora said:
Is it possible that i can solve it without using the series expansion of ln(1+x)?

Probably. What I did is,

[tex]\lim_{x\to0} (1+f(x))^{g(x)} = e^{\lim_{x\to0} f(x)g(x)}[/tex]

Which is applicable iff g(x) tends to infinity, which it does.

From this I get,

[tex]e^{\lim_{x\to0} \frac{(1+x)^{1/x}-e}{ex}}[/tex]

(Edit : Probably need to zoom to see this one. Here's the exponent part)

[tex]{\lim_{x\to0} \frac{(1+x)^{1/x}-e}{ex}}[/tex]
Finding the limit of this function will give you the answer. You can probably do it by general binomial series, but I'm trying to find a way to get this limit without using L'Hospital Rule or those series.

Last edited:

OP is right:

[itex]y=lim_{x\rightarrow 0}(\frac{(1+x)^{1/x}}{e})^{1/x}[/itex]

[itex]ln(y)=ln(lim_{x\rightarrow 0}(\frac{(1+x)^{1/x}}{e})^{1/x})[/itex]

[itex]ln(y)=lim_{x\rightarrow 0}ln((\frac{(1+x)^{1/x}}{e})^{1/x})[/itex]

[itex]ln(y)=lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{x}ln(\frac{(1+x)^{1/x}}{e})[/itex]

[itex]ln(y)=lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{x}(ln((1+x)^{1/x})-ln(e))[/itex]

[itex]ln(y)=lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{x}(\frac{1}{x}ln(1+x)-1)[/itex]

[itex]ln(y)=lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{x}(\frac{ln(1+x)-x}{x})[/itex]

Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

Use \left and \right before your parentheses and brackets to have them automatically resize. You can click quote to check out the example below:
$$
\lim_{x \to 0} \left( \frac{(1+x)^{1/x}}{e} \right)^{1/x}
$$

My attempt:
let

Thanks!

Your solution is correct (I used L'Hopital's Rule), but I don't see a way to do it without using L'Hopital's rule or series. You could also use the generalized binomial series I suppose, but that's no simpler than your series for log.

Mark44 said:
Instead of using \stackrel, just use \lim_{x → 0}, like this:
$$ \lim_{x \to 0}[\frac{(1+x)^{1/x}}{e}]^{1/x}$$
Thanks for the code Mark! :smile:

Mark44 said:

Yes, i did skip a few steps as they involved only simple properties that are mentioned by cjc0117 and Infinitum.

Mark44 said:
This really should go in the Calc & Beyond section - I'm moving it there.
Why this should go in Calc and Beyond? I haven't used any calculus in this question.:confused: (Now i don't want to get the same infraction again)

Infinitum said:
Probably. What I did is,

[tex]\lim_{x\to0} (1+f(x))^{g(x)} = e^{\lim_{x\to0} f(x)g(x)}[/tex]

Which is applicable if g(x) tends to infinity, which it does.

From this I get,

[tex]e^{\lim_{x\to0} \frac{(1+x)^{1/x}-e}{ex}}[/tex]

(Edit : Probably need to zoom to see this one. Here's the exponent part)

[tex]{\lim_{x\to0} \frac{(1+x)^{1/x}-e}{ex}}[/tex]
Finding the limit of this function will give you the answer. You can probably do it by general binomial series, but I'm trying to find a way to get this limit without using L'Hospital Rule or those series.

Thanks for trying out the problem. I am asking for an alternative method as i tend to forget the series expansion and binomial which serves me no good in my exams. :smile:

cjc0117 said:
OP is right:

[itex]y=lim_{x\rightarrow 0}(\frac{(1+x)^{1/x}}{e})^{1/x}[/itex]

[itex]ln(y)=ln(lim_{x\rightarrow 0}(\frac{(1+x)^{1/x}}{e})^{1/x})[/itex]

[itex]ln(y)=lim_{x\rightarrow 0}ln((\frac{(1+x)^{1/x}}{e})^{1/x})[/itex]

[itex]ln(y)=lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{x}ln(\frac{(1+x)^{1/x}}{e})[/itex]

[itex]ln(y)=lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{x}(ln((1+x)^{1/x})-ln(e))[/itex]

[itex]ln(y)=lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{x}(\frac{1}{x}ln(1+x)-1)[/itex]

[itex]ln(y)=lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{1}{x}(\frac{ln(1+x)-x}{x})[/itex]

Exactly what i did. :smile:

spamiam said:
Use \left and \right before your parentheses and brackets to have them automatically resize. You can click quote to check out the example below:
$$
\lim_{x \to 0} \left( \frac{(1+x)^{1/x}}{e} \right)^{1/x}
$$
Thanks spamiam, i was in need of this. :smile:

Pranav-Arora said:
Why this should go in Calc and Beyond? I haven't used any calculus in this question.:confused: (Now i don't want to get the same infraction again)
Limits are more associated with calculus than with the precalc courses. Also, this type of problem lends itself to L'Hopitals's Rule, which requires the use of derivatives. In addition, in your approach, you used a series representation of ln(1 + x), which is another calculus concept. For all of these reasons, I moved the thread. I figured it was just an honest mistake on your part -- no infraction.

Mark44 said:
Limits are more associated with calculus than with the precalc courses. Also, this type of problem lends itself to L'Hopitals's Rule, which requires the use of derivatives. In addition, in your approach, you used a series representation of ln(1 + x), which is another calculus concept. For all of these reasons, I moved the thread. I figured it was just an honest mistake on your part -- no infraction.

Thanks once again for the clarification, i will take care of that from now. :smile:

Try using x=1/n , and taking lim n->Infinity

What is a limit equation?

A limit equation is a mathematical expression that describes the behavior of a function as its input values approach a certain value, known as the limit. It is used to model real-world situations and make predictions based on data.

Why explore alternative solutions to a limit equation?

Exploring alternative solutions to a limit equation allows for a deeper understanding of the problem and can lead to more accurate predictions. It also allows for identifying potential flaws or limitations in the original equation.

What are some common alternative solutions to a limit equation?

Some common alternative solutions to a limit equation include using different mathematical functions to describe the behavior of the function, breaking the problem down into smaller parts, and using numerical methods such as graphing or calculus.

How do you determine which alternative solution is the most accurate?

Determining the most accurate alternative solution involves comparing the results of each solution to real-world data or known values. The solution that best matches these values is considered the most accurate.

Can exploring alternative solutions to a limit equation lead to new discoveries?

Yes, exploring alternative solutions can lead to new discoveries, as it allows for thinking outside the box and considering different ways to approach a problem. This can lead to new insights and solutions that were not previously considered.