Limits Question Definition

In summary, the existence of a limit of a function at a point does not depend on the function being defined at that point. The definition of a limit includes a control that prevents the value of x from being equal to the limit. An example of this is the limit of \frac{\sqrt{x+1} -1}{x} at c > 0, which is 0 but cannot be plugged in. Continuity also helps clarify the concept of limit existence.
nejnadusho
If I have a function let's say lim x->5 f(x) that

f(5) Does not exist, because if I give a value of x which equals the limit , there is no anymore limit?

I hope the question is understandble.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The existence of a limit of a function [itex]f(x)[/itex] at a point [itex]x=c[/itex] has nothing to do with whether the function is actually defined there. That's because a control is built into the definition of a limit that prevents [itex]x[/itex] from taking on the value [itex]c[/itex] as we take the limit. That's what the [itex]0<|x-c|<\delta[/itex] is there for, to ensure that the distance between [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]c[/itex] is strictly positive.

Yeah, I like to think of it as making sure that it is approaching c from both sides.

A good example might be [tex]\frac{\sqrt{x+1} -1}{x}[/tex]. The limit exists at c > 0 and the answer is 0 but the you can't just plug that in.

if you let x = -0.1 f(x) is 5.132 and -0.01 f(x) .5013, and -0.001 f(x) is .5001 (from the left), and x is .001, f(x) is 0.4999, x is 0.1, f(x) is 0.4988 (from the right), and so on.

When you study continuity I think it really helps clear things up in regards to the existence of limits.

Thank you very much

1. What is the definition of a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics refers to the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a specific value. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to analyze the behavior of functions and sequences near a specific point.

2. How do you determine the limit of a function?

The limit of a function can be determined by evaluating the function at values approaching the desired point and observing the resulting output. If the outputs are approaching a specific value, then that value is the limit of the function at that point.

3. What does it mean for a limit to be undefined?

A limit is undefined when the function does not approach a specific value as the input approaches a certain point. This could occur due to a discontinuity or a vertical asymptote in the function.

4. Can a function have a limit at a point but not be continuous at that point?

Yes, a function can have a limit at a point but not be continuous at that point. This can occur when there is a removable discontinuity, such as a hole in the graph of the function, at that point.

5. How are limits used in real-world applications?

Limits are used in real-world applications, such as physics and economics, to model and analyze various phenomena. For example, limits can be used to determine the maximum height a rocket can reach or the optimal production level for a company to maximize profits.