Find Limits of |x|/x at x=0+ and x=0-

• Thread starter Nitrate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary: All right, what sort of graph do you get if you take the values of y = abs(x) and divide them by the value of x at each point?
Nitrate

Homework Statement

Find the following limits, if they exist:

h) lim absolute value[x]/(x)
x->0[itex]^{+}[/itex]

and

i) lim absolute value[x]/(x)
x->0[itex]^{-}[/itex]

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer to h) [according to the back of the textbook] is 1
and the answer to i) is -1.
I'm really not sure how to arrive at those answers.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does the absolute value operation do to positive numbers? to negative numbers?

WHat is the definition of the absolute value!?

dynamicsolo said:
What does the absolute value operation do to positive numbers? to negative numbers?

Positives stay the same and negatives turn to positives, but I'm not sure how this will help me.

So if x is any positive number, what will | x | equal? What will [itex]\frac{|x|}{x} [/itex] equal?

If x is any negative number, what will | x | equal? And now what will [itex]\frac{|x|}{x} [/itex] equal?

flyingpig said:
WHat is the definition of the absolute value!?

The distance of x from 0.

dynamicsolo said:
So if x is any positive number, what will | x | equal? What will [itex]\frac{|x|}{x} [/itex] equal?

If x is any negative number, what will | x | equal? And now what will [itex]\frac{|x|}{x} [/itex] equal?

I see it now, but why can x be ANY positive number for the first question and ANY negative number for the second? I thought you had to substitute the zero into the x variable.

Nitrate said:
I see it now, but why can x be ANY positive number for the first question and ANY negative number for the second? I thought you had to substitute the zero into the x variable.

Because we are not just plugging numbers into the function; we are looking to see what happens as x takes on (any) positive or negative values that are getting closer and closer to zero. (This is important because it is often the case in limit problems (like this one) where putting the "limiting value of x" into the function won't tell you anything useful at all...)

dynamicsolo said:
Because we are not just plugging numbers into the function; we are looking to see what happens as x takes on (any) positive or negative values that are getting closer and closer to zero. (This is important because it is often the case in limit problems (like this one) where putting the "limiting value of x" into the function won't tell you anything useful at all...)

How can I tell what the graph of abs(x)/(x) looks like? [I've already used my graphing calculator, but I want to find out how to do it without my calculator] I know that the abs(x) by itself looks like a v opening up.

Nitrate said:
How can I tell what the graph of abs(x)/(x) looks like? [I've already used my graphing calculator, but I want to find out how to do it without my calculator] I know that the abs(x) by itself looks like a v opening up.

All right, what sort of graph do you get if you take the values of y = abs(x) and divide them by the value of x at each point?

What is the definition of a limit?

A limit is the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a certain point or value. It is not necessarily the exact value of the function at that point, but rather the value that the function gets closer and closer to as the input gets closer to the specified point.

What is the limit of |x|/x at x=0+?

The limit of |x|/x at x=0+ is undefined. This is because the function approaches positive infinity as the input approaches 0 from the right side, and negative infinity as the input approaches 0 from the left side. Since these values are not equal, the limit does not exist.

What is the limit of |x|/x at x=0-?

The limit of |x|/x at x=0- is also undefined. This is because the function approaches positive infinity as the input approaches 0 from the left side, and negative infinity as the input approaches 0 from the right side. Again, since these values are not equal, the limit does not exist.

Why does the limit of |x|/x not exist at x=0?

The limit of |x|/x does not exist at x=0 because the function approaches different values from the left and right sides of 0. The left and right limits do not equal each other, so the overall limit does not exist.

Can the limit of |x|/x be defined at x=0?

No, the limit of |x|/x cannot be defined at x=0 because the function has different left and right limits at this point. In order for a limit to exist, the left and right limits must be equal.