1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits question

1. Jul 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

L = lim x-> infinity ([tex]\sqrt{3x^{2}+4x}[/tex] - [tex]\sqrt{3x^{2}-2x}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution

I first multiplied the whole equation by [tex]\sqrt{1}[/tex] to get rid of the square root.
    Thus I got (3x^2 + 4x - (3x^2 - 2x)). With this, I divided the terms by x to get ultimately 4 + 2 = 6, but I don't think this answer is right because I didn't really substitute x anywhere. It just turned out to be some random algebra at the end.

Thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2008 #2
    Your first step is incorrect.
    You cant just square everything to get rid of the square roots.
    (a + b)^2 does not equal to a^2 + b^2.

4. Jul 29, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To simplify something like sqrt(A)-sqrt(B) multiply by (sqrt(A)+sqrt(B))/(sqrt(A)+sqrt(B)) i.e. '1' to get (A-B)/(sqrt(A)+sqrt(B)). You seem to be losing the denominator.

5. Jul 29, 2008 #4
    But doing that doesn't really help me because now I have square roots on the denominator.

6. Jul 29, 2008 #5
    Trying some factoring out, I got

6x/(x sqrt(3 + 1/4x) + x sqrt(3 + 1/2x))

and got stuck

7. Jul 29, 2008 #6
    Ah ha, I think I got it now.

Using l'hopital's rule I think? dividing by x, and therefore getting 6/2sqrt(3) as x heads to infinity in 1/4x and 1/2x and thus becoming 0 there.

Thanks to Dick and others who helped.

6/2sqrt(3)

8. Jul 29, 2008 #7
    Yup thats the correct answer. Or in simpler terms its sqrt(3). I dont think l'hopitals rule should be used here.

9. Jul 29, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It's certainly not neccesary to use L'Hopital's rule.

JFonseka, do exactly what you were told to do initially: multiply [itex]\sqrt{3x^2+ 4x}- \sqrt{3x^2- 2x}[/itex] by
    [tex]\frac{\sqrt{3x^2+ 4x}+ \sqrt{3x^2- 2x}}{\sqrt{3x^2+ 4x}+ \sqrt{3x^2- 2x}}[/tex]
    to get
    [tex]\frac{3x^2+ 4x- 3x^2+ 2x}{\sqrt{3x^2+ 4x}+ \sqrt{3x^2- 2x}}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{6x}{\sqrt{3x^2+ 4x}+ \sqrt{3x^2- 2x}}[/tex]

Yes, you now have square roots in the denominator but they are added so the "[itex]\infty- \infty[/itex]" problem that you had initially doesn't occur here. Since
    Do the "standard" method when dealing with limits at infinity: divide both numerator and denominator by the highest power of x- here just x itself. Of course, the "x" you divide by in the denominator become "x2" in the square root.
    Doing that you have:
    [tex]\frac{6}{\sqrt{3+ 4/x}+ \sqrt{3- 2/x}}[/tex]

Now, as x goes to infinity, those fractions with x in the denominator go to 0. The limit is:
    [tex]\frac{6}{2\sqrt{3}}= \frac{3}{\sqrt{3}}= \sqrt{3}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?