Finding a and b for Continuous f(x) at x=0

• Thread starter JBD2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuous
In summary, the problem is asking to find the values of a and b that would make the function f(x) continuous at x=0. The left and right hand limits must be equal, and the limit laws are used to set the limits of the function at x<0 and x>0 equal to each other. Using L'hopital's rule, the limit of the left hand side is calculated to be 4b*log(e). By setting this equal to the right hand limit, the value of b is found to be -5a/(4log(e)-1). The next step is to solve for b/a and use that to eliminate b from the equation, making one of the limits equal to -2a-4
JBD2

Homework Statement

[tex]Let \[f(x)=\begin{cases}{}
\frac{6a(x^2+1)}{2x^2+1}+\frac{b\log \big((x+1)^4\big)}{x} &\mbox{if } x<0,\\
-2a-4 &\mbox{if } x=0, \\
\frac{a\sin x}{x}+b &\mbox{if } x>0.
\end{cases}\]
Find \(a\) and \(b\) such that \(f\) is continuous at \(x=0\).[/tex]

Homework Equations

Left and Right Hand limits are equal, as well as limit laws (If you're helping with the question I assume you know what they are)

The Attempt at a Solution

If f is continuous at x=0, the limit as x approaches 0 from the left should be equal to the limit as x approaches 0 from the right. With that, I took the limit of the part of f where x<0 and set it equal to the limit of the part of f where x>0.

Using L'hopital's rule I computed: [tex]\lim_{x \to 0-}\frac{4b\log{x+1}}{x}[/tex] and the result is 4b*log(e). If I set this equal to the right hand limit, I can calculate that [tex]b=\frac{-5a}{4\log{e}-1}[/tex]. Now I am stuck and am not sure what to do. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi JBD2! :smile:

(I expect log here means log base e :wink:)

Now solve for b/a, use that to get rid of b, and make one of the limits equal to -2a - 4. :smile:

1. What is the importance of finding a and b for Continuous f(x) at x=0?

Finding a and b for Continuous f(x) at x=0 is important because it allows us to determine the continuity of the function at that specific point. This is crucial in understanding the behavior of the function and its graph.

2. How do you find a and b for Continuous f(x) at x=0?

To find a and b for Continuous f(x) at x=0, we can use the limit definition of continuity. This involves taking the limit of the function as x approaches 0 from both the left and right sides. If the limits are equal, then a and b can be determined.

3. Can a function be continuous at x=0 without having a and b?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be continuous at x=0 without having a and b. This can occur when the function is defined at x=0 or when the limit of the function as x approaches 0 exists.

4. What does a and b represent in Continuous f(x) at x=0?

In Continuous f(x) at x=0, a and b represent the coefficients in the linear function that best approximates the original function near the point x=0. They can also be seen as the y-intercept and slope of the tangent line at that point.

5. Why is it important to check for continuity at x=0 in a function?

Checking for continuity at x=0 in a function is important because it is a critical point that can affect the overall continuity of the function. If the function is not continuous at x=0, it may have a break or discontinuity in its graph, which can impact its behavior and make it more difficult to analyze.