1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits Question

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]Let \[f(x)=\begin{cases}{}
    \frac{6a(x^2+1)}{2x^2+1}+\frac{b\log \big((x+1)^4\big)}{x} &\mbox{if } x<0,\\
    -2a-4 &\mbox{if } x=0, \\
    \frac{a\sin x}{x}+b &\mbox{if } x>0.
    \end{cases}\]
    Find \(a\) and \(b\) such that \(f\) is continuous at \(x=0\).[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Left and Right Hand limits are equal, as well as limit laws (If you're helping with the question I assume you know what they are)

3. The attempt at a solution
    If f is continuous at x=0, the limit as x approaches 0 from the left should be equal to the limit as x approaches 0 from the right. With that, I took the limit of the part of f where x<0 and set it equal to the limit of the part of f where x>0.

Using L'hopital's rule I computed: [tex]\lim_{x \to 0-}\frac{4b\log{x+1}}{x}[/tex] and the result is 4b*log(e). If I set this equal to the right hand limit, I can calculate that [tex]b=\frac{-5a}{4\log{e}-1}[/tex]. Now I am stuck and am not sure what to do. Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi JBD2! :smile:

(I expect log here means log base e :wink:)

Now solve for b/a, use that to get rid of b, and make one of the limits equal to -2a - 4. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook