1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits question

1. Aug 28, 2005 #1
    I just started calculus and we are doing limits. I was doing fine on my hmwrk until i came to this problem:

Find lim f(x+∆x) – f(x)/ ∆x
    ∆x→0

f(x)= x^2 – 4x

I have no idea what the delta means... I know in chem it means "a change in", but I don't know what to do with it here. My book doesn't explain it either. Please help! Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2005 #2
    delta x ->0
    means as x approaches zero

or in other words the change in the value of x is getting so small that it is almost zero.

4. Aug 28, 2005 #3
    oh so it changes nothing?

5. Aug 28, 2005 #4
    or what am i supposed to do with the delta x value?

6. Aug 28, 2005 #5

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

kendal,

I seriously doubt that. For purposes of solving your problem and to get you accustomed to the concept why don't you just replace the [itex]\Delta x[/itex] with something more friendly looking like a? Then you can carry out your algebra and examine what happens when a is made arbitrarily small.

7. Aug 28, 2005 #6
    Trust me. I have read the entire chapter looking for something explaining the delta and there is nothing. Thanks for the tip though.

8. Aug 28, 2005 #7
    ok, so I worked out the problem and got 2x+a... is this correct? For some reason I dont think it is, but I thought I worked it out right...

9. Aug 29, 2005 #8

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should have gotten [itex]2x - 4 + a[/itex]. Recheck your algebra.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?