1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits & Rationals help please

1. Apr 3, 2006 #1
    Hi, I'm having trouble with a couple limits because I'm not sure how to answer them exactly...

a)lim x-> infinity 10^1/x (sorry i don't know how to use LaTex)

b) lim x-> 3 x^-2 - 3^-2 / x-3
    Now since this one is 0/0, I tried to factor it but I'm not sure HOW to factor it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I take it you mean 10^(1/x). You could do that as 101/x in html or [tex]10^{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex] in Latex (click on that to see the code. What does 1/x go to as x-> infinity? What is 10 to that power?

If you don't use Latex, PLEASE use parentheses. I assume you mean
    (x^(-2)- 3^(-2))/(x- 3). Did you consider multiplying numerator and denominator by x^2? That gives you (1- x^2/9)/(x^2(x-3)). If you REALLY don't like fractions multiply numerator and denominator by 9= 3^2. That gives (9- x^2)/(9x^2(x-3)). Can you factor that?
  4. Apr 3, 2006 #3
    1) As x-> infinity, 1/x = 0, therefore 10^0 = 1

2) How come you multiplied x^2? (Our teacher was teaching us that we factor if, when the limit is put in and you get 0/0, that you should factor)
  5. Apr 3, 2006 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Because it gives you something you CAN factor! You seemed to be having difficulty with the negative powers, I got rid of them.

Of course, you know that a^2- b^2= (a-b)(a+b) so you certainly could do x^(-2)- 3^(-2)= (a^(-1))^2- (3^(-1))^2= (a^(-1)- 3^(-1))(a^(-1)+ 3^(-1)) That would also work.
  6. Apr 3, 2006 #5
    Is the final answer -2/27?
  7. Apr 4, 2006 #6

Homework Helper

That looks good to me. :)
    You can always check it by plugging some value of x in the expression, and if it evaluate to some value closed to your result, then it's correct.
    Say, let's choose x = 2.99 (closed to 3). Plug it in and you will have: -0.07444609..., which is ver closed to -2 / 27. And you are correct.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?