• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Limits - square root

Rectifier
Gold Member
The problem
$$ \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \left( \sqrt{x+1} - \sqrt{x} \right) $$

The attempt
## \left( \sqrt{x+1} - \sqrt{x} \right) = \frac{\left( \sqrt{x+1} - \sqrt{x} \right)\left( \sqrt{x+1} + \sqrt{x} \right) }{\left( \sqrt{x+1} + \sqrt{x} \right) } = \frac{x+1 - x }{\left( \sqrt{x+1} + \sqrt{x} \right) } = \frac{1 }{x \left( \sqrt{\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{x^2}} + \sqrt{\frac{1}{x}} \right) } = \frac{1}{x} \frac{1 }{ \sqrt{\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{x^2}} + \sqrt{\frac{1}{x}} } \\ \rightarrow 0 \cdot \frac{1}{0 + 0} ## for ## x \rightarrow \infty ## division with 0 is undefined. Can somone help me calculate this limit.

And no, I cant use l'Hopitals rule so please don't mention it in this thread.

Answers and Replies

Math_QED
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
2019 Award
The problem

The attempt
## \left( \sqrt{x+1} - \sqrt{x} \right) = \frac{\left( \sqrt{x+1} - \sqrt{x} \right)\left( \sqrt{x+1} + \sqrt{x} \right) }{\left( \sqrt{x+1} + \sqrt{x} \right) } = \frac{x+1 - x }{\left( \sqrt{x+1} + \sqrt{x} \right) } = \frac{1 }{x \left( \sqrt{\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{x^2}} + \sqrt{\frac{1}{x}} \right) } = \frac{1}{x} \frac{1 }{ \sqrt{\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{x^2}} + \sqrt{\frac{1}{x}} } \\ \rightarrow 0 \cdot \frac{1}{0 + 0} ## for ## x \rightarrow \infty ## division with 0 is undefined. Can somone help me calculate this limit.

## \left( \sqrt{x+1} - \sqrt{x} \right) = \frac{\left( \sqrt{x+1} - \sqrt{x} \right)\left( \sqrt{x+1} + \sqrt{x} \right) }{\left( \sqrt{x+1} + \sqrt{x} \right) } = \frac{1 }{\left( \sqrt{x+1} + \sqrt{x} \right) } ##.

Until here, what you do leads to the answer. When you fill in infinity right now, you don't get an undetermined form, so the answer is ...?

Ray Vickson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Dearly Missed
The problem

The attempt

Note that
[tex] \frac{x+1-x}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{x+1}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{x+1}} [/tex]
In the second form, what happens to the numerator when ##x \to +\infty##? What happens to the denominator?

What dictator forbids you from using l'Hospital's rule?

What dictator forbids you from using l'Hospital's rule?
I haven't worked this problem, but sometimes L'Hopital's rule doesn't get you anywhere. I've seen similar problems where two applications of L'H gets you right back to where you started.