1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits - square root

Tags:
  1. Jul 15, 2016 #1

Rectifier

Gold Member

The problem
    $$ \lim_{x \rightarrow \infty} \left( \sqrt{x+1} - \sqrt{x} \right) $$

The attempt
    ## \left( \sqrt{x+1} - \sqrt{x} \right) = \frac{\left( \sqrt{x+1} - \sqrt{x} \right)\left( \sqrt{x+1} + \sqrt{x} \right) }{\left( \sqrt{x+1} + \sqrt{x} \right) } = \frac{x+1 - x }{\left( \sqrt{x+1} + \sqrt{x} \right) } = \frac{1 }{x \left( \sqrt{\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{x^2}} + \sqrt{\frac{1}{x}} \right) } = \frac{1}{x} \frac{1 }{ \sqrt{\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{x^2}} + \sqrt{\frac{1}{x}} } \\ \rightarrow 0 \cdot \frac{1}{0 + 0} ## for ## x \rightarrow \infty ## division with 0 is undefined. Can somone help me calculate this limit.

And no, I cant use l'Hopitals rule so please don't mention it in this thread.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2016 #2

Math_QED

Homework Helper

## \left( \sqrt{x+1} - \sqrt{x} \right) = \frac{\left( \sqrt{x+1} - \sqrt{x} \right)\left( \sqrt{x+1} + \sqrt{x} \right) }{\left( \sqrt{x+1} + \sqrt{x} \right) } = \frac{1 }{\left( \sqrt{x+1} + \sqrt{x} \right) } ##.

Until here, what you do leads to the answer. When you fill in infinity right now, you don't get an undetermined form, so the answer is ...?

4. Jul 15, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Note that
    [tex] \frac{x+1-x}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{x+1}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{x+1}} [/tex]
    In the second form, what happens to the numerator when ##x \to +\infty##? What happens to the denominator?

What dictator forbids you from using l'Hospital's rule?

5. Jul 15, 2016 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I haven't worked this problem, but sometimes L'Hopital's rule doesn't get you anywhere. I've seen similar problems where two applications of L'H gets you right back to where you started.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted