1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits Verification

1. Jan 23, 2005 #1
    Hello all

I encountered the following problems:

(a) Prove that [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}((n+1)^\frac{1}{3} - n^\frac{1}{3}) = 0 [/tex]

Using the relation [tex] a^3 - b^3 = (a-b)(a^2 + ab + b^2) [/tex] we get [tex] \frac{((n+1)^\frac{1}{3} - n^\frac{1}{3})((n+1)^\frac{1}{3})^2 + ((n+1)^\frac{1}{3}(n^\frac{1}{3}) + (n^\frac{1}{3})^2}{(n+1)^\frac{1}{3} - n^\frac{1}{3})} [/tex]

Hence [tex] \frac {1}{((n+1)^\frac{1}{3})^2 + ((n+1)^\frac{1}{3}(n^\frac{1}{3}) + (n^\frac{1}{3})^2} [/tex]

and this approaches 0

Also another problem I encountered was:

Let [tex] a_n = \frac {10^n}{n!} [/tex]
    (a) To what limit does this converge
    (b) Is this sequence monotonic
    (c) Is it monotonic from a certain n onwards
    (d) Give an estimate of the difference between [tex] a_n [/tex] and the limit.
    (e) From what value of n onwards is this difference less than [tex] \frac {1}{100}[/tex]?

(a)Is it valid to say that just by looking we can see that the limit converges to 0? How would you do it algebraically? In other words, how do you prove that [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow \infty}(\frac {n!}{n^n} = 0) [/tex]
    (b&c) I think this sequence is monotonic from a certain n onwards
    (d) The estimate in the difference of the limit could be any value [tex] \epsilon [/tex]. So [tex] a_n = \frac {10^n}{n!} < \epsilon [/tex] where [tex] \epsilon = \frac {1}{100} [/tex]. IS this right? How would you actually estimate the difference?

(e) So [tex] a_n = \frac {10^n}{n!}< \frac {1}{100} [/tex]. How would you solve
    for this?

Thanks a lot :smile:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2005 #2
    I am not sure if I can use intuituion

4. Jan 24, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use the fact that the natural logarithm and the limit commute and the Stirling's approximation

[tex] \ln n!\sim n\ln n-n [/tex]

for very big "n"...

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?