Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limits When Determining Area between two Graphs

1. Jun 13, 2005 #1
    Hi all having a little problem with finding the limits on the area between 2 graphs.

i can find the easy one such as:

Find the area between y=x^2 and y = 2x
    which is:
    x^2 = 2x
    x^2 - 2x = 0
    x(x-2) = 0

x = 0 & 2

but when i have a question like:
    Find the area between y=2-x^2 & y =x

i cant work it out i got to x(1+x)= 2

but im sooo lost
    any help appreciated
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 13, 2005 #2
    Nvermind, I understand what your saying. To find the points of intersection between those two graphs, set them equal to each other.

[tex] 2-x^2 = x [/tex]

[tex] x^2 + x = 2 [/tex]

An obvious one is x=1.

Try quadratic formula.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  4. Jun 13, 2005 #3
    sorry whozum i dont think i explained the question well, i need to work out the points of intersection i have no problems working out the area.

yeh ive already got 1. so using the quadratic formula i should be able to find the points out?
  5. Jun 13, 2005 #4
    so the intersecting points are -2 & 1?
  6. Jun 13, 2005 #5
    There you go. Graph it to make sure.
  7. Jun 13, 2005 #6
    hello there

well first of all you need to find where both functions actually intersect this is done by making 2-x^2=x then using the quadratic formulae to find where they intersect, and so you will find that they will intersect at 1 and at -2 now if you want to find the area between these functions its best that you graph it and then split up the area which should correspond to the addition to a couple of integrals
    [tex]\int_0^1 2-x-x^2 dx+\int_{-\sqrt{2}}^0 2-x^2+x dx-\int_{-2}^{-\sqrt 2} x -2+x^2 dx[/tex]
    by integrating you will be able to find the area between those two functions?
    by the way y=2-x^2 has roots at +/-sqrt{2}
    the area is 2.5 units hopefully with out any small errors
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  8. Jun 13, 2005 #7
    thanks guys!
  9. Jun 13, 2005 #8

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why in the world should one do such a thing? For all x between -2 and 1, 2- x2 is larger than x so 2-x2- x is positive and is the "height" of a thin rectangle between the two. The area is
    [tex]\int_{-2}^1 2- x- x^2 dx= \frac{9}{2}= 4.5[/tex].
  10. Jun 13, 2005 #9
    yeh thats tha answer i got 9/2
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?