Limits When Determining Area between two Graphs

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limits on the area between two graphs and how to solve for the points of intersection between them. It also mentions using the quadratic formula and integration to find the area between the graphs. The final answer is 4.5 units.
Struggling
Hi all having a little problem with finding the limits on the area between 2 graphs.

i can find the easy one such as:

Find the area between y=x^2 and y = 2x
which is:
x^2 = 2x
x^2 - 2x = 0
x(x-2) = 0

x = 0 & 2

but when i have a question like:
Find the area between y=2-x^2 & y =x

i can't work it out i got to x(1+x)= 2

but I am sooo lost
any help appreciated

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Nvermind, I understand what your saying. To find the points of intersection between those two graphs, set them equal to each other.

[tex] 2-x^2 = x [/tex]

[tex] x^2 + x = 2 [/tex]

An obvious one is x=1.

Try quadratic formula.

Last edited:
sorry whozum i don't think i explained the question well, i need to work out the points of intersection i have no problems working out the area.

yeh I've already got 1. so using the quadratic formula i should be able to find the points out?

so the intersecting points are -2 & 1?

There you go. Graph it to make sure.

hello there

well first of all you need to find where both functions actually intersect this is done by making 2-x^2=x then using the quadratic formulae to find where they intersect, and so you will find that they will intersect at 1 and at -2 now if you want to find the area between these functions its best that you graph it and then split up the area which should correspond to the addition to a couple of integrals
[tex]\int_0^1 2-x-x^2 dx+\int_{-\sqrt{2}}^0 2-x^2+x dx-\int_{-2}^{-\sqrt 2} x -2+x^2 dx[/tex]
by integrating you will be able to find the area between those two functions?
by the way y=2-x^2 has roots at +/-sqrt{2}
the area is 2.5 units hopefully without any small errors

Last edited:
thanks guys!

steven187 said:
hello there

well first of all you need to find where both functions actually intersect this is done by making 2-x^2=x then using the quadratic formulae to find where they intersect, and so you will find that they will intersect at 1 and at -2 now if you want to find the area between these functions its best that you graph it and then split up the area which should correspond to the addition to a couple of integrals
[tex]\int_0^1 2-x-x^2 dx+\int_{-\sqrt{2}}^0 2-x^2+x dx-\int_{-2}^{-\sqrt 2} x -2+x^2 dx[/tex]
by integrating you will be able to find the area between those two functions?
by the way y=2-x^2 has roots at +/-sqrt{2}
the area is 2.5 units hopefully without any small errors

Why in the world should one do such a thing? For all x between -2 and 1, 2- x2 is larger than x so 2-x2- x is positive and is the "height" of a thin rectangle between the two. The area is
[tex]\int_{-2}^1 2- x- x^2 dx= \frac{9}{2}= 4.5[/tex].

yeh that's tha answer i got 9/2

1. What is the formula for determining the area between two graphs?

The formula for determining the area between two graphs is to take the definite integral of the top function minus the definite integral of the bottom function. This can be represented as: A = ∫ab (f(x) - g(x)) dx.

2. How do you find the limits when determining the area between two graphs?

To find the limits when determining the area between two graphs, you need to first identify the points where the two graphs intersect. These points will serve as the limits of integration. You can then use these limits to set up the definite integral for finding the area between the two graphs.

3. Can the area between two graphs be negative?

Yes, the area between two graphs can be negative. This occurs when the bottom function has a larger value than the top function within the limits of integration. In this case, the definite integral will result in a negative value, indicating that the area between the two graphs is below the x-axis.

4. What is the significance of finding the area between two graphs?

Finding the area between two graphs is useful for calculating the difference in values between two functions. It can also be used to find the total change in a quantity over a given interval. In addition, it can provide insight into the relationship between two functions and how they differ from one another.

5. Are there any limitations when determining the area between two graphs?

Yes, there are some limitations when determining the area between two graphs. One limitation is that both functions must be continuous within the given interval. Additionally, if the two graphs intersect multiple times within the interval, the area between them will need to be calculated in separate parts and then added together.