Limit Calculation for Radical Functions

In summary: It works if it isn't approaching negative infinity, right?What's going on is ##\lim_{x\to\infty} f(x)^2 = L^2 \implies \lim_{x\to\infty}f(x) = \pm L##, so you need to go back and check what the sign of f(x) is for sufficiently large x.When calculating the limit of the function f(x) = (x^2 + 3)/ sqrt(2x^4 + 5) as x→∞, is it correct to square the top and then place the resulting polynomial under a square root (i.e. sqrt(x
SherlockOhms
When calculating the limit of the function f(x) = (x^2 + 3)/ sqrt(2x^4 + 5) as x→∞, is it correct to square the top and then place the resulting polynomial under a square root (i.e. sqrt(x^2 + 3)^2)? Then you can rewrite the problem as the square root of the limit as x→∞ of the resulting function.
So, you'll have:
sqrt(lim x→∞ (x^2 + 3)/ (2x^4 + 5))
Divide above and below by x^4 and solve. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi DAPOS! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
DAPOS said:
… is it correct to square the top and then place the resulting polynomial under a square root (i.e. sqrt(x^2 + 3)^2)?

So, you'll have:

(you meant (x2 + 3)2/ (2x4 + 5) :wink:)

Yes, that's fine. :smile:

Thanks!

While for that particular limit it is correct, squaring a function to find a limit of it is generally wrong.

What would be the correct way to approach taking the limit of a radical? One that holds up for the majority of limits.

dextercioby said:
While for that particular limit it is correct, squaring a function to find a limit of it is generally wrong.

but it works if the function is always non-negative?

It works if it isn't approaching negative infinity, right?

What's going on is ##\lim_{x\to\infty} f(x)^2 = L^2 \implies \lim_{x\to\infty}f(x) = \pm L##, so you need to go back and check what the sign of f(x) is for sufficiently large x.

DAPOS said:
When calculating the limit of the function f(x) = (x^2 + 3)/ sqrt(2x^4 + 5) as x→∞, is it correct to square the top and then place the resulting polynomial under a square root (i.e. sqrt(x^2 + 3)^2)? Then you can rewrite the problem as the square root of the limit as x→∞ of the resulting function.
So, you'll have:
Rather than square the numerator and denominator, the way to go would be to factor the expression inside the radical.

$$ \frac{x^2 + 3}{\sqrt{2x^4 + 5}} = \frac{x^2(1 + 3/x^2)}{x^2\sqrt{2 + 5/x^4}}$$
$$ = \frac{1 + 3/x^2}{\sqrt{2 + 5/x^4}}$$

Now take the limit as x → ∞.

I had been taught that method but I was just curious whether the above would actually work consistently. I can see that it won't, especially with limits to - infinity. Thanks for all the help!

1. What are "limits with radicals"?

Limits with radicals refer to the concept of finding the limit of a mathematical expression involving a radical, also known as a square root. This involves determining the value that the expression approaches as the variable in the radical gets closer and closer to a certain value.

2. How do you solve limits with radicals?

To solve limits with radicals, you must first simplify the expression as much as possible by factoring and canceling out any common terms. Then, you can use algebraic manipulation or substitution to evaluate the limit. In some cases, you may need to use L'Hopital's rule or other techniques to solve more complex limits.

3. What is the importance of understanding limits with radicals?

Understanding limits with radicals is important in many areas of mathematics and science, including calculus, physics, and engineering. It allows us to better understand the behavior of functions and their graphs, and to solve more complex problems involving radicals.

4. What are some common strategies for evaluating limits with radicals?

Some common strategies for evaluating limits with radicals include using algebraic manipulation, factoring and canceling out common terms, using L'Hopital's rule, and substitution. It is also important to understand the properties of radicals and their limits.

5. Can limits with radicals have different values depending on the direction of approach?

Yes, limits with radicals can have different values depending on the direction of approach. This is because the behavior of the function near the point of the limit can vary depending on whether the variable is approaching from the left or right side. It is important to consider both directions when evaluating limits with radicals.