Limits: Zero / Non-Zero

In summary, the conversation was about finding the limit of a function as x approaches 5. The individual discussing the problem tried two different methods, but encountered some issues with simplifying the expression. They were advised to recheck their algebra and consider differentiating the numerator and denominator before taking the limit.
Alexstre
Hello!

I'm trying to find the following limit:
[tex]{\lim_{x \to 5}}\ {5-x \over {3-\sqrt{x^2 -16}}[/tex]

I tried 2 things
Simplifying the bottom:
[tex]3-\sqrt{x^2-16}[/tex] = [tex]3-\sqrt{x^2-4^2}[/tex] = 3-x-4 = -1-x

But that doesn't help with what's on top...

I also tried multiplying top and bottom by:
[tex]3+\sqrt{x^2-16}[/tex] but I still ended up with 0/non-zero.

Could anyone point me into the right direction, or correct me if one of those 2 steps was right?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you figure Sqrt(x^2 - 4^2) = x - 4?

Have you thought of differentiating the numerator and the denominator, then taking the limit of their ratio?

If the limit is zero over non-zero, the limit is just zero. But in this case I'm getting the limit to be 0/0, yeah?

Alexstre said:
Hello!

I'm trying to find the following limit:
[tex]{\lim_{x \to 5}}\ {5-x \over {3-\sqrt{x^2 -16}}[/tex]

I tried 2 things
Simplifying the bottom:
[tex]3-\sqrt{x^2-16}[/tex] = [tex]3-\sqrt{x^2-4^2}[/tex] = 3-x-4 = -1-x
This is wrong. [itex]\sqrt{x^2- 4^2}[/itex] is NOT x- 4.

But that doesn't help with what's on top...
Good! That prevented you from getting the wrong answer!

I also tried multiplying top and bottom by:
[tex]3+\sqrt{x^2-16}[/tex] but I still ended up with 0/non-zero.
Really? WHAT did you get when you did that? I do NOT get "0/non-zero".

Could anyone point me into the right direction, or correct me if one of those 2 steps was right?

Thanks!
I recommend you recheck your algebra. In particular, what is
[tex]\left(\frac{5-x}{3-\sqrt{x^2- 16}}\right)\left(\frac{3+\sqrt{x^2- 16}}{3+\sqrt{x^2- 16}}\right)[/tex]

By the way, as MATdaveLACK said, there is nothing wrong with getting "0/non-zero": that would just mean the limit is 0. However, here, that is wrong.

1. What is a zero limit?

A zero limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input (or variable) approaches a certain value. In a zero limit, the output of the function approaches zero as the input approaches the specified value.

2. What is a non-zero limit?

A non-zero limit is a mathematical concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input (or variable) approaches a certain value. In a non-zero limit, the output of the function approaches a value other than zero as the input approaches the specified value.

3. How is a zero limit different from a non-zero limit?

A zero limit and a non-zero limit differ in the value that the output of the function approaches as the input approaches a certain value. In a zero limit, the output approaches zero, while in a non-zero limit, the output approaches a value other than zero.

4. What are some real-life applications of zero and non-zero limits?

Zero and non-zero limits are used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, the concept of zero and non-zero limits is used to describe the behavior of particles in motion, while in economics, it is used to analyze the behavior of markets and prices.

5. How can one calculate a zero or non-zero limit?

To calculate a zero or non-zero limit, one can use mathematical techniques such as substitution, factoring, or L'Hôpital's rule. It is important to note that the limit of a function may not always exist, and in such cases, additional methods such as the squeeze theorem may be used to determine the behavior of the function.