1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

: Limits

1. Mar 28, 2007 #1
    URGENT: Limits

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    PART A
    Let f(x) be a function defined on an open interval containing c, and let L be a real number. Given:

[tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{x \to a} f\left( x \right) = L[/tex]

For each real [tex]\varepsilon > 0[/tex] , there exists a real [tex]\delta > 0[/tex] such that for all x:
    [tex]0 < \left| {x - c} \right| < \delta
    0 < \left| {f\left( x \right) - L} \right| < \varepsilon [/tex]

PART B
    Hence, evaluate exactly [tex]\mathop {\lim }\limits_{\theta \to 0} \frac{{\sin ^2 4\theta }}{\theta }[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution
    I do not have the slightest idea on how to solve part A, however for part B my working is as follows (I am using L'hopital's Rule):
    [tex]
    \begin{array}{l}
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{\theta \to 0} \frac{{\sin ^2 4\theta }}{\theta } = \frac{{\sin ^2 4\left( 0 \right)}}{0} = \frac{0}{0} \\
    \mathop {\lim }\limits_{\theta \to 0} \frac{{\sin ^2 4\theta }}{\theta } = \mathop {\lim }\limits_{\theta \to 0} \frac{{f\left( \theta \right)}}{{g\left( \theta \right)}}\quad \Rightarrow \quad f\left( \theta \right) = \sin ^2 4\theta \quad g'\left( \theta \right) = 1 \\
    f\left( \theta \right) = \sin ^2 4\theta \\
    \sin ^2 \theta = \frac{{1 - \cos 2\theta }}{2} \\
    f\left( \theta \right)\sin ^2 4\theta = \frac{{1 - \cos 8\theta }}{2} \\
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

Am i doing this part correctly? Is there an easier way? Many thanks to all help and suggestions offered.
    unique_pavadrin

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Yes you are doing it correctly, but instead of converted the sin squared using double angle formulae, just differentiate as it is. I think that should be easier.

4. Mar 28, 2007 #3
    As far as i can see part A has no question to solve, it simply states the definition of the limit

5. Mar 28, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

I think it is asking to prove that statement it provided or something

6. Mar 28, 2007 #5
    Is it not possible to use small angles [tex] {\sin \theta }\approx\theta[/tex]

so [tex] \frac{{\sin ^2 4\theta }}{\theta }\approx16\theta[/tex] as [tex]\theta \rightarrow 0[/tex]

7. Mar 28, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Well my graphing program says the limit is zero..

8. Mar 28, 2007 #7
    sin^2 4@ == (sin 4@)^2

then if u do like normal differentiation, u get 8sin4@cos4@
    and with the trigo identity, u will get 4 sin8@
    thus, that result would approaches 0 for @ --> 0

ps: sorry, dont know how to use the mathematical notation thingy

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  9. Mar 28, 2007 #8
    yeah this limit is zero. there is another way, shorter one and simpler one i guess than chickens suggested, although you get the same result. try to multiply both the numerator and denominator by (16@)/(16@), what do you get? then write the numerator as (4*@)^2, so you will get (sin(4@)/4@)^2, and the limit of this is 1, but we have still the limit of 16@ as @->0 so the result is 0.
    sorry for my symbols, i hope u understand @ stands for theta, the angle at sin

10. Mar 28, 2007 #9

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Can you explain this further, as I don't really understand what you mean! Are you doing this? [tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin^24\theta}{\theta}=\lim \frac{16\theta^2}{\theta}\left(\frac{\sin 4\theta}{4\theta}\right)^2[/tex].

If so, how do you deduce that [tex]\lim \left(\frac{\sin 4\theta}{4\theta}\right)^2=1[/tex] ?

11. Mar 28, 2007 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The fact that [tex]\lim_{\theta\rightarrow 0}\frac{sin \theta}{\theta}= 1[/tex] together with the fact that x2 is continuous should do it!

12. Mar 28, 2007 #11

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Indeed. I knew I was missing something pretty obvious!

13. Mar 28, 2007 #12
    thank you for your replies, you have been of great help
    unique_pavadrin

14. Mar 29, 2007 #13
    [tex]\lim_{\theta\rightarrow 0} \frac{\sin^24\theta}{\theta}=\lim_{\theta\rightarrow 0} \frac{16\theta^2}{\theta}=\lim_{\theta\rightarrow 0}16\theta=0[/tex]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  15. Mar 29, 2007 #14

VietDao29

Homework Helper

How did you go from the first expression to the second expression? :bugeye:
    [tex]\sin \theta \neq \theta[/tex]

16. Mar 29, 2007 #15
    you need to read the whole threads on this topic explaining how to find this limit. I also explained this on my thread, so read it first, if you still have any questions than after that ask them.

17. Mar 29, 2007 #16

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The Taylor's expansion for [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex] is
    [tex]\theta- \frac{1}{2}\theta^2+ \frac{1}{3!}\theta^3- \cdot\cdot\cdot[/itex]

The "linear approximation" (tangent line) for [itex]sin(\theta)[/itex] is just [itex]\theta[/itex] so for [itex]sin(4\theta)[/itex] is [itex]4\theta[/itex] and for [itex]sin^2(4\theta)[/itex] is [itex]16\theta^2[/itex].

Since the "higher order" terms will go to 0 faster than the first order term, it is sufficient to use the linear approximate to find the limit. (It is really the same as using L'Hopital's rule.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?