Having some trouble with the limit problems

• Thread starter you_of_eh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limits
In summary, the speaker has missed a week of school and is struggling with limit problems for a math assignment due tomorrow. They were not present for the material review and are unsure of what the teacher is looking for. The speaker also asks for help with three specific limit problems.
you_of_eh
Limits..please help!

Ok so I just missed the past week of school due to other commitments..I have a math assignment due tomorrow and I wasn't in class when the material was reviewed. I'm having some trouble with the limit problems. I'm not quite sure what he is looking for. The question is..

Evaluate the following limits, explain your answer.
a)lim f(x) as x->2 where f(x) = x-5 if x=/=2...x=0 if x=2
b) lim f(x) as x->12 where f(x) = 1/x-12 **x-12 is the denom.
c) lim g(x) as x->9 where g(x) = 4x-36/sqrtx -3 **only the x is under the sqrt

-thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

What have you tried? The rules of this forum say that you have to make an attempt at solving a problem before anyone will help you. Look at the relevant section of your textbook. It should have some examples that will help you.

1. What are limit problems?

Limit problems are mathematical concepts that involve finding the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a specific value. It is used to determine the behavior of a function near a certain point or at infinity.

2. How do I solve limit problems?

To solve limit problems, you can use algebraic manipulation, substitution, or graphing. You can also use L'Hopital's rule, which is a method for evaluating limits of indeterminate forms.

3. What are the common types of limit problems?

The most common types of limit problems include limits at finite values, limits at infinity, and limits involving rational functions. Other types include trigonometric limits, logarithmic limits, and exponential limits.

4. How do I know if a limit problem is indeterminate?

A limit problem is considered indeterminate if the resulting value is undefined or cannot be determined using direct substitution. Examples of indeterminate forms include 0/0, ∞/∞, and ∞-∞.

5. What are some tips for solving limit problems?

Some tips for solving limit problems include factoring, simplifying, and using common limit theorems. It is also helpful to graph the function to get a better understanding of its behavior near the limit point.