1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limsup h.w. proofs

1. Mar 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1. A function f(x) is said to be monotonic increasing in A if for all x1, x2 ∈ A, x1≤x2 implies f(x1)≤f(x2).

Prove that if f(x) is monotonic increasing in R [f: R→R] and c is a cluster point of R then the limit of f(x) as x→c[tex]^{-}[/tex] exists (might be +∞).

2. s(δ) = sup{f(x) :0<|x-c|<δ}

s(δ) is a monotonic decreasing function, hence based on previous result 1, lims(δ) as δ→0[tex]^{+}[/tex] = L[tex]^{+}[/tex], which is defined to be the limsupf(x) as x→c.

Prove:

A. If L[tex]^{+}[/tex] = limsupf(x) as x→c, then [tex]\exists[/tex] a sequence x[tex]_{n}[/tex], such that as x[tex]_{n}[/tex]→c, f(x[tex]_{n}[/tex])→L[tex]^{+}[/tex].

B. If x[tex]_{n}[/tex]→c and x[tex]_{n}[/tex]≠c and f(x[tex]_{n}[/tex])→L then L≤L[tex]^{+}[/tex].

C. Similarly define L[tex]^{-}[/tex] = liminff(x) as x→c. [This is a monotonic increasing function.]

Prove that limf(x) as x→c = L if and only if L[tex]^{+}[/tex] = L[tex]^{-}[/tex] = L.

2. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so this is what I have so far - I was able to get #1, but got stuck with the proofs for #2.

1. If f(x) is monotonic increasing (decreasing) then limf(x) as x→c[tex]^{-}[/tex] exists.
    f: R→R
    c ∈R

Case 1: (Proving a lefthand limit exists for a monotonic increasing function)

Let L = sup{f(x) : x<c}. We want to show that ([tex]\forall[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]>0) ([tex]\exists[/tex][tex]\delta[/tex]) ([tex]\forall[/tex]x ∈ R) (0<c-x<δ ⇒ |f(x) - L|<[tex]\epsilon[/tex].

Consider the interval (L - <[tex]\epsilon[/tex], L). [tex]\exists[/tex]x[tex]_{1}[/tex], such that x[tex]_{1}[/tex]<c and L - [tex]\epsilon[/tex]<f(x[tex]_{1}[/tex])≤L [because otherwise L is not the sup, but L - [tex]\epsilon[/tex] would be the sup! So therefore, f(x[tex]_{1}[/tex]) must exist in between those two numbers.]

Let [tex]\delta[/tex] = c - x[tex]_{1}[/tex].

[tex]\forall[/tex]x ∈ R if 0<c-x<δ → 0<c-x<c - x[tex]_{1}[/tex] ⇒ x>x[tex]_{1}[/tex], so since f is monotonic increasing f(x)>f(x[tex]_{1}[/tex]).

Then, because L - [tex]\epsilon[/tex]<f(x[tex]_{1}[/tex])<f(x)≤L,
    L - [tex]\epsilon[/tex]<f(x)≤L and |f(x) - L|<[tex]\epsilon[/tex].

This is all I have so far! Any help or advice in how to solve part 2 of this problem would be greatly appreciated - thanks so much!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2008 #2
    I would just like to note - I think the latex imaging might have messed this up, but all the epsilons in the problem should not be listed as superscripts, but should be aligned normally and the 1 by the x, should be a subscript. Also, I left out the other 3 cases for fully proving part 1, but the proof is the same - it pretty much follows...Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?