Lincolnshire wind farm incident

• Thread starter fuzzyfelt
  • Start date
I haven't looked at the pics (they get blocked here at work, which i should probably be doing, but hey, it's lunch time) but most wind turbines have three blades (i'm looking at some out of my office window). We have a wind of 2km/h (1.2mph) and the are spinning at... 1 rotation every 6 seconds (10RPM). If tangential velocity is w*r (rotational velocity mulitplied by radius) and these blades are a good 30m long. Then the tangential velocity at the tip is: 300m/min or 5m/s or about 11.25mph.

Now consider that the blade that is fatigued breaks when it is in the horizontal position (pretty decent to assume, because this should be when the torque about the fatigue crack due to the blade's weight is largest). When it comes free, there is a weight imbalance and the other two blades will swing more under their weight towards the falling broken-off blade. Collision and whammo, 2nd blade is damaged.

This is just a rough idea of how this could have happened, I assume no responsibility for actually being correct :wink:

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I guess the point was this: It was not a case of people picking a UFO strike [which could mean something like UAV strike] out of the blue; to suggest it was is rather silly. There had been strange lights reported in the area and the company couldn't initially explain what had happend - they even specified that something could have hit the turbine. The wind conditions then caught my attention, but given that the company has determined that fatigue caused the initial failure, I would expect that there is no mystery.

Last edited:
fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
Thanks too, redargon and Ivan Seeking.

I think you are missing the point:.

Most definitely not, the last of the fatique bends is just the last, regardless of the forces involved. It can be just nothing.

Hi I was just browsing when this thread caught my eye. My daughter and I have actually seen the red balls of light that were reportedly seen before the incident. There was two of them one was bigger than the other and they seemed to be white hot in the centre. they moved pretty fast and there was no sound

fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
Fascinating! Interesting that these lights were reported some time before.

matthyaouw
Gold Member
Hi I was just browsing when this thread caught my eye. My daughter and I have actually seen the red balls of light that were reportedly seen before the incident. There was two of them one was bigger than the other and they seemed to be white hot in the centre. they moved pretty fast and there was no sound

I am intrigued- How would you be able to deduce this?