1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lindemann–Weierstrass theorem?

1. Jul 28, 2008 #1
    Lindemann–Weierstrass theorem??

Let X1, X2, X3,...Xn be an increasing sequence of real numbers. Prove that the n exponential functions e^x1t,e^x2t.....e^xnt are linearly independent.

My question is how? I look at examples but how do I go about explaining this?

______________________________________...

Show that the set {1, sqrt(2), sqrt(3), sqrt(6)} is linearly independent over the rational numbers

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 28, 2008 #2
    Re: Lindemann–Weierstrass theorem??

(sorry, ignore this post)

4. Jul 28, 2008 #3

I think if you just keep picking values of t, you will get a system of linear equations that is overdetermined (and unsolvable since the columns of rows of constants in the matrix are linearly independent).

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  5. Jul 29, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Both of those look pretty straight forward from the definition of "independent".

Given [itex]a_1e^{x_1t}+ a_2e^{x_2t}+ \cdot\cdot\cdot+ a_ne^{x_nt}= 0[/itex]
    for all t, prove that [itex]a_1= a_2= \cdot\cdot\cdot= a_n= 0[/itex]
    I suspect it would be simplest to prove this by induction on n.

For the second one, you want to prove that if [itex]a+ b\sqrt{2}+ c\sqrt{3}+ d\sqrt{6}= 0[/itex], and a, b, c are rational numbers, then a= b= c= d= 0. You will, of course, use the fact that [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] and [itex]\sqrt{3}[/itex] are not rational.

6. Jul 29, 2008 #5

How would one go from the kth case to the k+1th?

7. Jul 29, 2008 #6

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If we multiply both sides of

[tex]a_1e^{x_1t}+ a_2e^{x_2t}+ \cdots + a_ne^{x_nt}= 0[/tex]

by [itex]e^{-x_n t}[/itex], we get

[tex]a_1e^{(x_1 - x_n)t}+ a_2e^{(x_2 - x_n)t}+ \cdots + a_ne^{(x_{n-1} - x_n)t} + a_n = 0.[/tex]

Now let [itex]t \to \infty[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?