Line and Letter Placement Puzzle

In summary, the conversation discusses the correct placement of the letter R above or below the line, and also mentions different lists and their contents, including the use of stencil fonts. The conversation also includes a discussion about a word being reflected in a mirror and how it would appear.
K Sengupta
Does the letter R go above or below the line?

A B D O P Q

C E F G H I J K L M N

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
K Sengupta said:
Does the letter R go above or below the line?

A B D O P Q

C E F G H I J K L M N

Above-- unless you're using a stencil font. In the same vein, which lists do X, Y and Z go into?

1) AMTUVW
2) HIO
3) BCDEK
4) FGJLNPQRS

DaveE

I'm going to guess

Y in 1
Z in 2
X in 1, 2, and 3

and possibly Y in 2 also

Soca fo so said:
I'm going to guess

Y in 1
Z in 2
X in 1, 2, and 3

and possibly Y in 2 also

Your placement of Y is correct, but Z isn't where I was going with it-- and by my reasoning, X and Y only belong in one of the 4 lists.

DaveE

I was looking at the symmetry of the letters with my answer, but would I be right in saying the answer has to do with topology/graph theory?

X in 3, Y in 1, Z in 4?

davee123 said:
1) AMTUVW
2) HIO
3) BCDEK
4) FGJLNPQRS

DaveE
This is nice, I had never seen it before. I propose the following variation:
1)AMTUVWY
2)HI
3)BCDEK
4)FGJLPQR
5)NSZ
6)X
7)O
1) Vertical axis
2) Vertical and horizontal axes and 180 degrees rotation
3) Horizontal axis
4) None
5) 180 degrees rotation
6) Vertical, horizontal, and both diagonal axes, 90 degrees rotation
7) All axes, all degrees rotation

Last edited:
But doesn't 2 have 180 degrees rotation too?

Back to the original is the answer X in 2, Y in 1, Z in 4 then?

With the common mirror flip symmetries:

1)Vertical axis
2)Vertical and horizontal axes
3)Horizontal axis
4)None

(didn't originally see some letters in 4 had the 180 degree rotational symmetry)

Last edited:
Thank you, Soca fo so. I have edited my post.

Soca fo so said:
Back to the original is the answer X in 2, Y in 1, Z in 4 then?

Yep! That's what I was going for.

I thought about adding the separate category for rotational symmetry, but it created some ambiguity for O, and seemed to make the problem either too complex or a dead giveaway, so I figured I'd just go with the straight 90 degree axes of symmetry.

DaveE

A long while ago someone showed me a package of Camel's cigarettes, not directly, but in a mirror. There in the mirror plainly showed the word CHOICE and I was set to wondering what word was printed on the pack that showed thus in the mirror. Of course, the word CHOICE itself would show up as ECIOHC wouldn't it?

What is a "Line and Letter Placement Puzzle"?

A "Line and Letter Placement Puzzle" is a type of puzzle that involves arranging lines and letters in a specific way to form a word or phrase. It usually requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills to solve.

How do I solve a "Line and Letter Placement Puzzle"?

To solve a "Line and Letter Placement Puzzle", you need to carefully examine the given lines and letters and try to find patterns or connections between them. You may also need to rearrange the lines or letters to form a meaningful word or phrase.

Are there any strategies for solving "Line and Letter Placement Puzzles"?

Some strategies for solving "Line and Letter Placement Puzzles" include starting with the shortest words or phrases, looking for common letter combinations, and trying to visualize the lines and letters in different orientations.

What skills can be improved by solving "Line and Letter Placement Puzzles"?

Solving "Line and Letter Placement Puzzles" can improve critical thinking, problem-solving, and spatial reasoning skills. It can also enhance vocabulary and language skills as it often involves forming words or phrases.

Where can I find "Line and Letter Placement Puzzles" to solve?

"Line and Letter Placement Puzzles" can be found in puzzle books, online puzzle websites, and in some newspapers or magazines. They can also be created and shared among friends or in puzzle communities.