Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line Folowing bot

1. Jan 18, 2008 #1
    line following robot is a very common thing now in robot competition.. but i am up with a very different challenge.. i must build a bot that must overtake another bot using lines.... can anyone suggest me ideas?? the question is here..
    http://pragyan.org/08/home/events/robovigyan/simbot/

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2008 #2
    Does any one have any new ideas????

4. Jan 21, 2008 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

What are your thoughts so far? You must have some initial thoughts that you can share?

5. Jan 22, 2008 #4
    we are using ir led for line detection...... and we are using ultrasonics for detecting obstacle.. its the other bot detection and making decision based on it that we are quiet worried about

6. Jan 24, 2008 #5
    How are the obstacles set up? Is it like:
    1 Start on left line
    2 move forward until encounter obstacle
    3 move right until line found
    4 move forward until encounter obstacle
    5 check right/left, move right/left until line found goto 4

Or does it have to be dynamic, in that you cant change lanes if the other robot is there.
    Can you go backward? Does it HAVE to stay on the lines?

This seems pretty easy for some reason, the challenge comes in to how complex your microprocessor can be, and getting your detectors calibrated.

I wish I had free time, (and spare cash), I'd love to do this. Maybe I should have stayed an electrical engineer...

7. Jan 24, 2008 #6
    One thing you can do, a trick from sumo bots, is use, for example, two nine volt batteries for your power source, but only have it run on one until a trigger is hit, for instance a tactile sensor from touching the other bot, then you'd have it kick in with the second battery for double the power. Do you have a copy of "Junkbots, bugbots, and bots on wheels"? If not either get a copy from the library or buy one, it is immensely useful.

8. Jan 24, 2008 #7

Danger

Gold Member

The posted rules take most of the fun out of it. What's the point if you can't goose the opponent? :grumpy:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?