Line Integral and swept area

In summary: I understand that now. The question was how to graph cos t and sin t. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area swept out by the line from the origin to the ellipse x = cos t and y = sin t as t varies from 0 to t_0. The suggested method is to use the formula A = 1/2*oint(y dx - xdy) and plug in the given values for x, y, dx, and dy. It is also mentioned that the parameter t can be eliminated, but this is not necessary for the problem. The conversation also briefly touches on graphing the curve and the correct formula for calculating the area.
bugatti79

Homework Statement

Find the area swpet out by the line from the origin to the ellipse x=cos t and y=sin t as t varies from 0 to t_0 where t_0 is constant between 0 and 2 pi

Homework Equations

Use [itex]A= \frac{1}{2} \oint_{C} y dx -xdy[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

How does one determine how to graph this in order to aid calculation?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

Find the area swpet out by the line from the origin to the ellipse x=cos t and y=sin t as t varies from 0 to t_0 where t_0 is constant between 0 and 2 pi

Homework Equations

Thanks

You could eliminate the parameter t if you want the xy equation, but you don't really need to for this problem. You have x and y given in terms of t; just plug x, y, dx, and dy in the integral and integrate with respect to t.

LCKurtz said:
You could eliminate the parameter t if you want the xy equation, but you don't really need to for this problem. You have x and y given in terms of t; just plug x, y, dx, and dy in the integral and integrate with respect to t.

Ok,

1) I calculate

[itex] \displaystyle A= \frac{1}{2} \int_{0}^{2 \pi} a sin t (-a sin t) dt - a cos t (a cos t)dt = \frac{-a^2}{2} \int_{0}^{ 2 \pi} (sin^2 t +cos^2 t) dt = -a^2 \pi [/itex]..? A negative area is not right..

2)I am interested in how you would eliminate the parameter t as another method...can you advise?

Thanks

bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Thanks

LCKurtz said:

bugatti79 said:
Ok,

1) I calculate

[itex] \displaystyle A= \frac{1}{2} \int_{0}^{2 \pi} a sin t (-a sin t) dt - a cos t (a cos t)dt = \frac{-a^2}{2} \int_{0}^{ 2 \pi} (sin^2 t +cos^2 t) dt = -a^2 \pi [/itex]..? A negative area is not right..
That is because your formula I have highlighted in red is wrong. It should have a minus sign in front of it. And where did the ##a## come from in your answer. There is no ##a## in your problem.
2)I am interested in how you would eliminate the parameter t as another method...can you advise?

Thanks

What do you get if you calculate ##x^2+y^2## in terms of your parameter ##t##?

LCKurtz said:
And where did the ##a## come from in your answer. There is no ##a## in your problem.

Well spotted, thanks. I left that out by mistake.The question has x= a cos t and y = a sin t
I guess there isn't enough info to calculate the area numerically, just in terms of 'a' like I have seen in similar example elsewhere.

LCKurtz said:
What do you get if you calculate ##x^2+y^2## in terms of your parameter ##t##?

Well, equation of ellipse is x^2/a^2 +y^2/b^2 = 1. But based on this, shouldn't the above y=a sin t be y = b sin t?

I think we get a more difficult integral using the 'eliminate t' method...?

bugatti79 said:
Well spotted, thanks. I left that out by mistake.The question has x= a cos t and y = a sin t
I guess there isn't enough info to calculate the area numerically, just in terms of 'a' like I have seen in similar example elsewhere.

Well, equation of ellipse is x^2/a^2 +y^2/b^2 = 1. But based on this, shouldn't the above y=a sin t be y = b sin t?

I think we get a more difficult integral using the 'eliminate t' method...?

There isn't any ##b## in your problem so why are you bringing that up? What do you get if you calculate ##x^2+y^2## in your example?

LCKurtz said:
There isn't any ##b## in your problem so why are you bringing that up? What do you get if you calculate ##x^2+y^2## in your example?

I calculate x^2 +y^2 =a^2. So I am guessing we could rearrange for x and y and put back into original 'corrected' integral in post 1...?

bugatti79 said:
I calculate x^2 +y^2 =a^2. So I am guessing we could rearrange for x and y and put back into original 'corrected' integral in post 1...?

We are now just going around in circles. You asked in your original post how you could graph the curve. I said one way was to eliminate the parameter but I told you that was unnecessary to work the problem. But if you want to see the curve, graph ##x^2+y^2=a^2## and look at it. I presume you do know what that graph is and how to graph it, right?

LCKurtz said:

bugatti79 said:

Homework Statement

LCKurtz said:
We are now just going around in circles. You asked in your original post how you could graph the curve. I said one way was to eliminate the parameter but I told you that was unnecessary to work the problem. But if you want to see the curve, graph ##x^2+y^2=a^2## and look at it. I presume you do know what that graph is and how to graph it, right?

Sorry, I mis-interpreted your first quote above. I thought you meant 'evaluating the integral' by eliminating the variable t instead of 'plotting it'.

Yes I do know how to plot it. In the original question, I was thrown off by the word 'line' I thought it was more than just an ellipse,ie some combination of a revolved line with the ellipse...?

Other than that, I'm pretty happy :-)

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral used in mathematics and physics to calculate the total value of a function along a specific curve or path. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the function along the curve.

2. What is the significance of line integrals in physics?

Line integrals are commonly used in physics to calculate quantities such as work, flux, and circulation. They are also used in electromagnetism to calculate the electric and magnetic fields along a specific path.

3. How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral calculates the area under a curve, while a line integral calculates the total value of a function along a specific curve or path. Line integrals also take into account the direction of the function, while regular integrals do not.

4. What is the swept area in a line integral?

The swept area in a line integral is the area of the region bounded by the curve and the line connecting the starting and ending points of the curve. It represents the physical quantity being calculated, such as work or flux.

5. How are line integrals used in real-world applications?

Line integrals have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate quantities such as work done by a force, electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetic systems, and economic production and consumption rates.