1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integral answer

1. Apr 14, 2007 #1
    Int ((2xe^y)dx + (x^2e^y) dy) from (0,0) to (1,-1)

I get the answer 2/e, while my book says 1/e. Am I right or wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2007 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree with your book. If you show your work, I might be able to point out your mistake. (by the way, it's because the integral of x gives x^2/2 that I "lose" the factor of 2)

4. Apr 14, 2007 #3
    2e^y*INT(x)dx + x^2*INT(e^y)dy

= e^y*x^2 + x^2*e^y = 2e^y*x^2

= 2*e^(-1) =2/e

5. Apr 15, 2007 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is not the way to do it!! You have to choose a path and integrate along that path. For example, go from the origin to (1,0) and integrate your expression (note that for that path, dy=0). Then go from (1,0) to (1,-1) and integrate again (this time, dx will be zero). Add the two results.

6. Apr 15, 2007 #5
    OK, then I made it. But why is the method of my first attempt wrong? I integrate along a path there as well; the straigth line between the endpoints.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  7. Apr 15, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

An "Anti-derivative" of 2xeydx+ x2eydy (which is an exact differential) is x2e^y. Evaluating that at (0,0) gives 0 and at (1, -1) gives e-1. The integral is e-1= 1/e.

As for the way you did it, you did NOT integrate along the straight line between the endpoints. The line from (0,0) to (1, -1) is given by parametric equations x= t, y= -t so dx= dt and dy= -dt. The integral becomes
    [tex]\int_0^1 2te^{-t}dt- \int_0^1t^2e^{-t}dt= \int_0^1(t- t^2)e^{-t}dt[/tex]
    Using integration by parts should give you the same answer. It appears that all you did was integrate 2xeydx with respect to x while ignoring the y and integrate x2eydy with respect to y while ignoring the x- you can't do that. In effect you got the "2" because you integrated the same thing twice!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?