Calculation of Line Integral over a Parabola and Straight Line

It would be like a wire with positive density having negative mass.In summary, the conversation discusses a line integral involving a parabola and a line, with disagreement over the bounds for the line integral. The poster's calculation using the lower to higher bounds results in a different answer than the book's answer. The conversation also clarifies the difference between ds type line integrals and the need to always put limits on t from lower to higher in order for ds to be positive. Overall, it is concluded that the book may have an error in its answer.
member 508213

Homework Statement

Evaluate line integral(x+sqrt(y)) over y=x^2 from (0,0) to (1,1) and y=x from (1,1) to (0,0)

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up integral from 0 to 1 of 2t(sqrt(1+4t^2))dt for the parabola part and then added integral from 0 to 1 of (t+sqrt(t))(sqrt2)dt and I am getting 5^(3/2)/6-1/6+7(sqrt2)/6.

The textbook gives the answer to be similar to mine except it is minus 7(sqrt2)/6.

I added the two integrals, but I would receive the same answer as the book if I subtracted the second integral from the first instead of adding the two (or rather, did integral from 1 to 0 for the second one). However, I was under the impression you are supposed to use the lower bounds to higher bounds for line integrals.

Thanks for the help with this one, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
But the second integral is from 1 to 0. You have to calculate the bounds taking into account the direction the line is traversed.

LCKurtz said:
But the second integral is from 1 to 0. You have to calculate the bounds taking into account the direction the line is traversed.
What if for the y=x part you set y=1-t and x=1-t and then do the integral from 0 to 1 of ((1-t)+sqrt(1-t))(sqrt2) this goes the same direction as indicated and gets a positive number right>?

Austin said:
What if for the y=x part you set y=1-t and x=1-t and then do the integral from 0 to 1 of ((1-t)+sqrt(1-t))(sqrt2) this goes the same direction as indicated and gets a positive number right>?

Yes. The limits do depend on the parameterization. With that parameterization the point moves in the required direction as t increases.

LCKurtz said:
Yes. The limits do depend on the parameterization. With that parameterization the point moves in the required direction as t increases.
But my point is that for that parameterization, I get a positive value which would give the answer that I got and not what the book got...

Well, I didn't check your answers because you didn't show your steps. Not my job to work the problem...

LCKurtz said:
Well, I didn't check your answers because you didn't show your steps. Not my job to work the problem...

Well, by what you say is the correct way to do the y=x part of the problem, we should get a negative number. And, for the way I just parameterized we get a positive number. Can you explain the difference?

You shouldn't get a negative number for an integral of the form ##\int_C f(x,y)ds## if ##f(x,y)\ge 0##. They aren't the same as ##\int Pdx + Qdy## type line integrals. In your problem, which I assume are ds type line integrals, both curves should give positive answers regardless of which direction you go.

LCKurtz said:
You shouldn't get a negative number for an integral of the form ##\int_C f(x,y)ds## if ##f(x,y)\ge 0##. They aren't the same as ##\int Pdx + Qdy## type line integrals. In your problem, which I assume are ds type line integrals, both curves should give positive answers regardless of which direction you go.
This is what I assumed as well. However, it appears as though if I do the integral (like you said earlier) from 1 to 0, I would get a negative number for the line segment. Can you please explain why this is?

LCKurtz said:
I would just like to add that I am speculating that the book has an error and I'm trying to prove that. I know people on here typically don't do the problems (which I understand) but doing so here could help if you wouldn't mind

The problem is when I first read your post, you didn't specify whether your integral was like ##\int f(x,y) dx, ~\int f(x,y) dy, ~ \int f(x,y)ds##. Since you were concerned about the direction I assumed it was likely one of the first two. ds type line integrals are a little bit different. When you use the formula ##ds =\sqrt{x'^2 + y'^2}dt##, in order for ##ds## to be positive you must always put limits on t from lower to higher. Because of this, I prefer to write that formula as ##ds =\sqrt{x'^2 + y'^2}|dt|##.

LCKurtz said:
The problem is when I first read your post, you didn't specify whether your integral was like ##\int f(x,y) dx, ~\int f(x,y) dy, ~ \int f(x,y)ds##. Since you were concerned about the direction I assumed it was likely one of the first two. ds type line integrals are a little bit different. When you use the formula ##ds =\sqrt{x'^2 + y'^2}dt##, in order for ##ds## to be positive you must always put limits on t from lower to higher. Because of this, I prefer to write that formula as ##ds =\sqrt{x'^2 + y'^2}|dt|##.
Thank you, and sorry for the confusion. I assumed all of what you said, and I think I did the problem correctly. Why I came on this site to ask this question is, because, I am getting a different answer from that in the book. Text books are not often wrong, so I am curious whether the textbook is wrong or if I am doing something wrong.

If it is a ds integral and your text gives a negative answer for the y = x portion, it is incorrect. It would be like a wire with positive density having negative mass.

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral in mathematics that is used to calculate the area under a curve along a specific path, such as a parabola or a straight line. It is often used in physics and engineering to calculate the work done by a force along a specific path.

What is the difference between a parabola and a straight line?

A parabola is a curved line that is formed by the graph of a quadratic function, while a straight line is a linear function with a constant slope. In terms of calculating a line integral, the main difference is that the path along a parabola will require a different approach than the path along a straight line.

How do you calculate a line integral over a parabola?

To calculate a line integral over a parabola, you will need to use the formula: ∫abf(x)√(1+(f'(x))2)dx, where a and b are the starting and ending points along the parabola, and f(x) is the equation of the parabola. This formula takes into account the varying slope of a parabola and allows for an accurate calculation of the area under the curve.

How do you calculate a line integral over a straight line?

To calculate a line integral over a straight line, you can use the simpler formula: ∫abf(x)dx, where a and b are the starting and ending points along the straight line, and f(x) is the equation of the line. This formula assumes a constant slope and simplifies the calculation process.

What are some real-life applications of calculating line integrals over a parabola and straight line?

Calculating line integrals is used in many real-life applications, such as calculating the work done by a force moving along a specific path, calculating the flow of a fluid along a curved pipe, or determining the amount of energy used by a car traveling along a specific route. It is also commonly used in physics and engineering for modeling and analyzing various systems and processes.