1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line Integral in E & M

1. Sep 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the line integral of A between to points x=1 and x=3 along the semicircular path with a center at x=2

2. Relevant equations

A=kx in the x hat direction.

[tex]\int A \bullet dl [/tex]

dl = ds s hat +s d[tex]\phi[/tex] [tex]\phi[/tex] hat +dz z hat

3. The attempt at a solution

My biggest problem seems to be getting that A into cylindrical coordinates so I can take the dot product with the dl.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

HI msd213, welcome to PF!:smile:

You can write this more clearly as follows (click on the [itex]\LaTeX[/itex] images to see the code used to generate them!):

[tex]\textbf{A}=kx\mathbf{\hat{x}}[/tex]

[tex]\int \textbf{A}\cdot d\textbf{l}[/tex]

[tex]d\textbf{l}=ds\mathbf{\hat{s}}+s d\phi\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}+dz\mathbf{\hat{z}}[/tex]

In cylindrical coordinates, centered at [itex]x=2[/itex] (since that is the center of your curve, you might as well choose the origin of your cylindrical coordinates to be there) [itex]x-2=s\cos\phi[/itex] and [itex]\mathbf{\hat{x}}=\cos\phi\mathbf{\hat{s}}-\sin\phi\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}[/itex]

4. Sep 13, 2009 #3
    Thanks for your response but I'm still confused. How did you derive that [itex]\mathbf{\hat{x}}[/itex]?

5. Sep 13, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I didn't derive it...I looked it up!:smile:

The derivation is done in most Multi-variable calculus texts, and I think is done in an Appendix in Griffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics as-well. But it is really just a matter of drawing a picture and doing some very basic trig.

6. Sep 13, 2009 #5
    I think I see now. But when you take the dot product between the A (now converted into cylindrical coordinates, and dl, aren't you going to have terms multiplied by differentials such as (some term)*[tex]ds[/tex] +(another term)*[tex]d\phi[/tex]...etc. How can you take the integrals with that? Where does the volume element fit in?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  7. Sep 13, 2009 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, for your particular curve (the semicircle), [itex]s=1[/itex] and [itex]z[/itex] are both constant, so [itex]ds=dz=0[/itex] and hence [itex]d\textbf{l}=d\phi\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}[/itex]

In general, any 3D curve can be described by a single parameter. So, in cylindrical coordinates, for example, you would have something like [itex]s=s(u)[/itex], [itex]\phi=\phi(u)[/itex] and [itex]z=z(u)[/itex] and so all the differentials ([itex]ds[/itex], [itex]d\phi[/itex] and [itex]dz[/itex]) can be written in terms of a single differential [itex]du[/itex]. (For your particular curve, the easiest way is just to use [itex]\phi[/itex] as your parameter)

If instead you wanted to integrate over a surface, you would express each coordinate in terms of two independent parameters, and your surface area element in terms of their differentials.

8. Sep 13, 2009 #7
    I'm still a little confused about how this clears up the problem with the repeated differentials. For example, in my problem, isn't the integral going to look like.

[tex]\int -k s^2\\\ cos\phi\\ sin\phi\\ d\phi\\\ s\\ ds\\ d\phi\\ dz[/tex]

Using [itex]\mathbf{\hat{x}}=\cos\phi\mathbf{\hat{s}}-\sin\phi\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}[/itex]
    and [tex]kx=kscos\phi[/tex]

I'm not sure how I can write these in terms of one parameter.

9. Sep 13, 2009 #8

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No,

[tex]\begin{aligned} \textbf{A} & = kx\mathbf{\hat{x}} \\ & = k(s\cos\phi+2)\left(\cos\phi\mathbf{\hat{s}}-\sin\phi\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}\right) \\ & = k(\cos^2\phi+2\cos\phi)\mathbf{\hat{s}}-k(\sin\phi\cos\phi+2\sin\phi)\mathbf{\hat{\phi}} \end{aligned}[/tex]

(Since [itex]s=1[/itex] along your curve)

And [itex]d\textbf{l}=d\phi\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}[/itex], so

[tex]\begin{aligned} \textbf{A}\cdot d\textbf{l} & = \left(k(\cos^2\phi+2\cos\phi)\mathbf{\hat{s}}-k(\sin\phi\cos\phi+2\sin\phi)\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}\right)\cdot(d\phi\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}) \\ & = -k(\sin\phi\cos+2\sin\phi)\phi d\phi\end{aligned}[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  10. Sep 13, 2009 #9
    Thanks for your patience and prompt responses.

Whenver I use cylindrical coordinates, I suppose I just reflexively put in that [tex]s\\ ds\\ d\phi\\ dz[/tex] whenever I convert to cylindrical coordinates and integrate. Why exactly isn't it needed here?

11. Sep 13, 2009 #10

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

[itex]d\tau=s ds d\phi dz[/itex] is the differential volume element....you're not performing a volume integral here, so [itex]d\tau[/itex] is pretty useless to you.

12. Sep 13, 2009 #11
    Thanks, I guess I've just been conditioned from calc to put that there.

Also, I think the whole idea of this section is path independence.

So, when you just take the path just along the x-axis, you have

[tex]\int_1^3 k\\ x\\ dx[/tex]

This integral yields 4k. But the integral you derive yields zero, unless I'm way off. The bounds should be 0 to [tex]\pi[/tex] correct? Shouldn't the integrals yield the same answer?

13. Sep 13, 2009 #12

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Right, sorry my post contained an error (substituted [itex]x=(s-2)\cos\phi[/itex] instead of [itex]x-2=s\cos\phi[/itex])...i'll edit it to fix the error...

14. Sep 13, 2009 #13
    Thank you, that should clear everything up. You've been a great help.:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook