What is the line integral of a curve?

In summary, a line integral of a curve is a calculation of the total value of a function along a specific curve or path. It differs from a regular integral by taking into account the direction and length of the curve. Line integrals have various applications in real-life situations, and they can be calculated by parameterizing the curve and using methods such as the fundamental theorem of line integrals or Green's theorem. Line integrals of curves can also be negative if the direction of the curve does not align with the function being integrated.
Pushoam

Homework Statement

upload_2017-12-28_0-5-32.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Line integral of a curve

## I = \int_{ }^{ } yz dx + \int_{ }^{ } zx dy + \int_{ }^{ } xy dz ## with proper limits.

## I = \int_{\frac { \pi }4}^{ \frac { 3 \pi} 4} abc ( \cos^2 t - \sin^2 t ) dt = -abc ##

|I| = abc

So, the answer is option (a).

Is this correct?

Attachments

• upload_2017-12-28_0-5-32.png
    upload_2017-12-28_0-5-32.png
    9.3 KB · Views: 965
Physics news on Phys.org
Except for the negative sign the answer correct. You just can't strip the negative sign because it doesn't match one of the choices. What if ##-abc## were a sixth choice? A better way to do this would be to see if ##\vec{F}## can be derived from some scalar function U, such that ##\vec{F}=-\vec{\nabla}U## (Hint: It can). Think of ##\vec{F}## as a conservative force and ##U## as the potential from which it is derived. Then the integral depends on the end points, i.e. ##I=U(t_2)-U(t_1)##.

kuruman said:
You just can't strip the negative sign because it doesn't match one of the choices. What if −abc were a sixth choice?
I had the impression that value of I = |I| (which is wrong according to your above comment). So, I removed the negative sign.

I did the calculation again and I got -abc.
## I = \int_{\frac { \pi }4}^{ \frac { 3 \pi} 4} abc ( \cos^2 t - \sin^2 t ) dt =##
## \frac { \sin{(2t)}} 2 |_ {\frac { \pi }4} ^{ \frac { 3 \pi} 4} abc = -abc ##I do not see what is wrong in the above calculation.

Taking ## \vec F = - \nabla U ##

I have to calculate ## U = - \int \vec F \cdot d \vec x ## ## = -abc = \frac { \sin{ (2t)}} 2##Then, I have to calculate ## \int \vec F \cdot d \vec x ## for t going from ## \frac { \pi} 4 ~ to ~ \frac { 3 \pi }4 ## .

This gives ## U(\frac { \pi} 4) – U(\frac {3 \pi} 4) ## , which is again –abc.

I am not getting what mistake I am doing here, but I am coming towards the same answer.

Pushoam said:
I had the impression that value of I = |I| (which is wrong according to your above comment). So, I removed the negative sign.

I did the calculation again and I got -abc.
## I = \int_{\frac { \pi }4}^{ \frac { 3 \pi} 4} abc ( \cos^2 t - \sin^2 t ) dt =##
## \frac { \sin{(2t)}} 2 |_ {\frac { \pi }4} ^{ \frac { 3 \pi} 4} abc = -abc ##
This is what I get, as well. It's not unheard of for posted answers to have typos.
Pushoam said:
I do not see what is wrong in the above calculation.

Taking ## \vec F = - \nabla U ##
The line integral calculation should be pretty straightforward. I don't see why you would need to do this.
Pushoam said:
I have to calculate ## U = - \int \vec F \cdot d \vec x ## ## = -abc = \frac { \sin{ (2t)}} 2##Then, I have to calculate ## \int \vec F \cdot d \vec x ## for t going from ## \frac { \pi} 4 ~ to ~ \frac { 3 \pi }4 ## .

This gives ## U(\frac { \pi} 4) – U(\frac {3 \pi} 4) ## , which is again –abc.
Pushoam said:
I am not getting what mistake I am doing here, but I am coming towards the same answer.

Mark44 said:
This is what I get, as well. It's not unheard of for posted answers to have typos.
I also get this answer after discovering an excess of a negative sign.

kuruman said:
I also get this answer after discovering an excess of a negative sign.
So I'm thinking that there's a typo in the answer.

So, I = -abc
And value of I = |I| = abc
Is this correct?

Mark44 said:
So I'm thinking that there's a typo in the answer.
I think so too. I did it two ways, using OP's method and using the scalar function but introduced an extraneous negative sign in the latter which got me going for a short while.
Pushoam said:
Is this correct?
The value of the integral is I = - abc as we all agree by now. Why do you feel you should take the absolute value?

Pushoam said:
So, I = -abc
Is this correct?
I agree that I = -abc, but ##I \ne |I|##. You can't just arbitrarily take the absolute value.

kuruman said:
Why do you feel you should take the absolute value?
I would say to force the computed answer to agree with the posted answer. This is not a good reason to do so.

Likes Pushoam
Actually, I am having problem with the word " value".
I thought value of I = |I|...(1)
But,(1) is wrong.
value of I = the integral which I get after the calculation
absolute value of I = |I|

Values can be positive or negative. Absolute values are positive only. The question does not specify "absolute".

Likes Pushoam
Pushoam said:
Actually, I am having problem with the word " value".
I thought value of I = |I|...(1)
No. The value of I is whatever it is -- positive, negative, or zero. I = |I| if and only if I >= 0.

Likes Pushoam

1. What is a line integral of a curve?

A line integral of a curve is a mathematical concept used in vector calculus to calculate the total value of a function along a specific curve or path. It involves breaking down the curve into small segments and adding up the value of the function at each point along the curve.

2. How is a line integral of a curve different from a regular integral?

While a regular integral calculates the total value of a function over a specific interval, a line integral of a curve calculates the total value of a function over a specific curve or path. It takes into account the direction and length of the curve, making it a more complex calculation.

3. What is the significance of line integrals in real-life applications?

Line integrals have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. They are used to calculate work done in a force field, electric flux, and path-dependent quantities like financial investments.

4. How do you calculate a line integral of a curve?

To calculate a line integral of a curve, you need to first parameterize the curve by defining a function that describes the path. Then, you integrate the function along the curve, taking into account the length and direction of the curve. This can be done using different methods such as the fundamental theorem of line integrals or Green's theorem.

5. Can line integrals of curves be negative?

Yes, line integrals of curves can be negative. This can happen when the direction of the curve and the direction of the function do not align, resulting in a negative value. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the curve when calculating a line integral.