1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integral of Vector field

1. Dec 14, 2012 #1
    This problem is about Line integral of Vector Field. I believe the equation i need to use is:

[itex]\int[/itex]F.dr = [itex]\int[/itex]F.r'dt, with r = r(t)

I try to solve it like this:
    C1: r1= < 1 - t , 3t , 0 >
    C2: r2= < 0 , 3 - 3t , t >
    C3: r3= < t , 0 , 1 - t >

After some computation, I got stuck at the part that have 2 Gaussian Integrals!

[itex]\int[/itex](t from 0 -> 1) [-3t + 3t^2 + e^(t^2) - e^[(t-1)^2]]dt

I see the answer is 1/2. I check my integrals and observe somehow these 2 Gaussian either cancel out or both equals 0, but I just have no clue how to show it. Another idea I could think of is that there is other way to solve this problem without involving doing those integrals.

Thanks for checking out my problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you can show they cancel. Take the integral of e^[(1-t)^2] and apply the substitution u=1-t.

4. Dec 14, 2012 #3
    Wow i didn't know that there's such technique. This is from my sample final exam about Vector Integral. Could you look at the problem i attached and tell me if there's any other way that didn't have to go through that Gaussian Integrals? Thanks a lot Dick!

problem.jpg

5. Dec 14, 2012 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's a trick you can use to show some definite integrals are related. It's not much of a general technique. Why not apply Stoke's theorem?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook