1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line Integral on a Surface

1. Apr 16, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use a line integral to find the area of the surface that extends upward from the semicircle ##y=\sqrt{9-x^2}## in the ##xy##-plane to the surface ##z=3x^4y##

2. Relevant equations

Parametric Equation for Circle:

## x = rcos(t) ##
    ## y = rsin(t) ##

Line Integral:

## \int_c F \cdot dr ##

3. The attempt at a solution

(Function):
    ## F = z = 3x^4y ##

(Variables):
    ## x = 3cos(t) ##
    ## y = 3sin(t) ##
    ## dx = -3sin(t)dt ##
    ## dy = 3cos(t)dt ##

(Intervals):
    ## -3 ≤ x ≤ 3 ##
    ## 0 ≤ y ≤ \sqrt{9-x^2} ##
    ## 0 ≤ t ≤ \pi ## (plugged x-interval into ## x = 3cos(t) ##)

(Solution):
    ## \int_{0}^{\pi} 3(3cos^{4}(t))(3sin(t))dt = 27\int_{0}^{\pi} cos^4(t)sin(t)dt = * ##
    ## * = 27 [\frac {-1} {5} cos^5(t) |_{0}^{\pi}] ##
    ## = 27 [ \frac {2} {5}]##

(Result):
    ##= \frac {54} {5}##

(Questions):

1. Are there any flaws in this thought process?

2. Since I am switching from substituting x and y with functions of t, do I need some kind of Jacobian in the integral that would take this into account, and affect my final answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it all looks fine (in principle. I didn't check the integration or the arithmetic).

Yes you need a Jacobian, but you already have it in your calcs. The expressions you wrote for ##dx## and ##dy## in terms of ##dt## are representations of the two elements of the Jacobian one gets in transforming from ##x,y## coordinates to ##t## coordinates.

4. Apr 16, 2016 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you have errors in both your concept and your arithmetic. The first error is that the integral is of the form ##\int_C F \cdot dr##. If that is a dot product it doesn't make sense since ##F## is not a vector. If that ##\cdot## is just a multplication sign then ##dr## would be a scalar, what scalar I wouldn't know.

The trouble is that you should be setting up an integral of the form ##\int_C F(x,y)~ds##. Try again, and be careful about parentheses with your exponents.

5. Apr 16, 2016 #4

So, do I have to plug those in anywhere, or do my final calculations already take the Jacobian into account?

Okay, my book sets the ##\int_C F(x,y) ds## as ## \int_C F(x,y) ds = \int_C F(x(t),y(t)) \sqrt{(\frac {dx} {dt})^2 + (\frac {dy} {dt})^2} dt ##

So, I set it up as...

## ds = \sqrt{(\frac {dx} {dt})^2 + (\frac {dy} {dt})^2} dt##

## \int_{0}^{\pi} 3(81cos^4(t))(3sin(t)) \sqrt{ (9cos^2(t) + 9sin^2(t))} dt = *##

## * = 2187 \int_{0}^{\pi} cos^4(t)sin(t) dt = 2187 [ \frac {2} {5} ] = \frac {4374} {5} ##

This seems more complete, just wary of my arithmetic a bit. Is this what you were speaking of, about ##\int_C F ds ##?

6. Apr 16, 2016 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's much better, even correct. Might have been a bit easier using polar coordinates using ##ds = 3 d\theta##, which is basically what yours came to.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted