Line Integral of a Vector Field over a Half Sphere using Stoke's Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Stoke's Theorem and the line integral to find the solution to a problem involving a vector field and a surface. The solution is found to be 36 pi using Stoke's Theorem, but when using the line integral to verify, the solution is 9 pi. After further discussion and checking of the calculations, it is determined that the normal vector was not taken into account in the line integral, resulting in the incorrect solution. The correct solution is found to be 9 pi when taking the normal vector into consideration.
sunnyday11

Homework Statement

F = ( 2y i + 3x J + z2 k where S is the upper half of the sphere x2 + y2 + z2 = 9 and C is its boundary.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used Stoke's Theorem and found the solution to be 36 pi, but when I use line integral to verify, using substition:

r(t) = 3cost i + 3sin t j

F(r(t))r'(t) = 9 (-2sin2t + 3cos2t)

[tex]\int^{2 pi}_{0}[/tex] 9 (-2sin2t + 3cos2t)

= 9 (1/2 + 5/2 cos(2t))[tex]/^{2 pi}_{0}[/tex]

= 9 pi which doesn't agree with 36 pi.

I wonder if I did my substitution wrong. Should I do anything with z or the k component?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The math looked right to me, so I did the curl side and parametrized the surface. I found the answer to be [tex]9 \pi[/tex] both ways. Check your curl, and make sure you are actually dealing with the curl vector dotted with the normal vector to the surface.

Thank you!

Yes I forgot to consider the normal after computing the curl. So I get to surface integral of 1 which translates into double integral of 1 over the region enclosed by S and since x and y form a circle the region is the area of a circle which is 9 pi.

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of mathematical integral that is used to calculate the total value of a function along a given path or curve in a multi-dimensional space. It takes into account not only the value of the function at each point, but also the direction and length of the path.

2. What are some common applications of line integrals?

Line integrals are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate work, force, and other physical quantities along a path. They are also used in vector calculus to solve problems related to fields and flux.

3. How is a line integral calculated?

A line integral is calculated by breaking the path into small segments and approximating the value of the function at each segment. These values are then added together using a summation or integration method, such as the Riemann sum or the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

4. What is the difference between a line integral and a surface integral?

A line integral is calculated along a curve or path, while a surface integral is calculated over a two-dimensional surface. Line integrals take into account the direction and length of the path, while surface integrals take into account the orientation and area of the surface.

5. How are line integrals related to conservative vector fields?

Line integrals are closely related to conservative vector fields, which are vector fields that have a potential function. In a conservative vector field, the value of the line integral is independent of the path taken and only depends on the endpoints of the path. This allows for easier calculation and interpretation of the line integral.