1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integral problem

1. Oct 31, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[itex]\int_{C}|y|ds[/itex] where C is the curve [itex](x^{2}+y^{2})^{2}=2^{2}(x^{2}-y^{2})[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i used polar coordinates [itex]x = r cos \theta[/itex] and [itex]y = r sin \theta[/itex]

then substituted into the equation to get [itex]r = 2\sqrt{cos 2\theta}[/itex]

since [itex]r\geq0[/itex] gives [itex]-\frac{\pi}{4}\leq \theta\leq \frac{\pi}{4}[/itex]

substituting back gives [itex]x = 2\sqrt{cos 2\theta}cos \theta[/itex] and [itex]y = 2\sqrt{cos 2\theta}sin \theta[/itex]

then i calculated [itex]\frac{dx}{d\theta}=-\frac{2sin 2\theta cos \theta}{\sqrt{cos 2\theta}}-\frac{2sin \theta}{\sqrt{cos 2\theta}}[/itex] and [itex]\frac{dy}{d\theta}=-\frac{2sin 2\theta sin \theta}{\sqrt{cos 2\theta}}+\frac{2cos \theta}{\sqrt{cos 2\theta}}[/itex]

and found [itex]ds=\sqrt{(\frac{dx}{d\theta})^{2}+(\frac{dy}{d\theta})^{2}}d\theta=(4tan 2\theta sec 2\theta+4 cos 2\theta)d\theta[/itex]

now substituting back to the integral gives [itex]8\int^{-\frac{\pi}{4}}_{\frac{\pi}{4}}\sqrt{cos 2\theta}|sin \theta|(tan 2\theta sec 2\theta+ cos 2\theta)d\theta[/itex]

which looks terribly difficult, so i inferred that i did something wrong somewhere, can someone please shed a bit of light? thanks

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2011 #2
    Why not just muscle through it? I mean suppose you had to? Could you? Start with this piece:

[tex]\int \frac{\sin(t) \sin(2t)}{(\cos(2t)^{3/2}}dt[/tex]

How about just that part? Already has the 2t thing in the top and bottom. Maybe start with parts. Keep working through it. See what happens.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook