Compute Line Integral: (x/y) from (2,4) to (10,100)

In summary, a line integral is a mathematical operation in vector calculus that involves finding the integral of a scalar or vector function along a specified curve or path. It can be interpreted as finding the area under the curve or the work done along the path. The formula for computing a line integral is ∫<sub>a</sub><sup>b</sup> F(x,y) • dr, where F(x,y) is the vector-valued function and dr is the differential of the curve or path. Some real-world applications of line integrals include calculating work, circulation, and flux in various fields such as physics and engineering.
balrog1212
The question is compute the integral over c of (x/y) where c is the line segment from (2,4) to (5, 25) followed by the parabolic arc from (5, 25) to (10, 100)

I tried setting this up in terms of x and then y using the line integral formula but I am got a negative answer which i know can't be right. Can anyone help me set this up?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you have for the function, it's derivative, and the integral?

There are many different ways to do such a problem. Show us what you did and we may be able to help.

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of mathematical operation performed in vector calculus that involves calculating the integral of a scalar or vector function along a specified curve or path.

What does it mean to compute a line integral?

To compute a line integral, you are finding the area under a curve or the work done along a path by summing up infinitesimal contributions from the curve or path.

What is the formula for computing a line integral?

The formula for computing a line integral is: ∫ab F(x,y) • dr where F(x,y) is the vector-valued function and dr is the differential of the curve or path.

How do you interpret the integral of (x/y) from (2,4) to (10,100)?

The integral of (x/y) from (2,4) to (10,100) represents the total area under the curve of the function (x/y) between the points (2,4) and (10,100). This can also be interpreted as the work done along the curve from (2,4) to (10,100).

What are some real-world applications of computing line integrals?

Line integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to calculate the work done by a force along a path, the circulation of a fluid, and the flux of a vector field. They also have applications in electromagnetism and fluid mechanics.