Line Integral Problem: Calculating ∫(x+y)dx+(y-x)dy Along Various Curves

In summary, the given integral is evaluated along various paths, including a parabola and straight lines. When evaluating along a straight line, there are two different answers depending on whether x or y is used as the variable of integration. This is due to a mistake in the calculation, which is corrected by using the correct expression for dx.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Evaluate ##\int_{(1,1)}^{(4,2)} (x + y)dx + (y - x)dy## along

(a) the parabola y2 = x
(b) a straight line
(c) straight lines from (1,1) to (1,2) and then to (4,2)
(d) the curve x = 2t2 + t + 1, y = t2 + 1

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) is fine.

For (b), I get two different answers, depending on what I do. Here's what I did.

The straight line passing through (1,1) and (4,2) is ##y = \frac{1}{3}x + \frac{2}{3}## so ##dy = \frac{1}{3}dx##.

So we have (replacing y and dy with expressions in terms of x)

##\int_{1}^{4} (\frac{4}{3}x + \frac{2}{3})dx + (\frac{2}{3} - \frac{2}{3}x) \cdot \frac{1}{3}dx = \int_{1}^{4} (\frac{10}{9}x + \frac{7}{9})dx = \frac{32}{3}##

But if, instead, we replace x and dx with expressions in terms of y, we have:

##\int_{1}^{2} (12y - 6)dy + (2 - 2y)dy = \int_{1}^{2} (10y - 4)dy = 11##

and my textbook says that 11 is the correct answer for (b). But why do I get two different answers? Shouldn't they be the same? Does it have something to do with path independence (although aren't I using the same path)?

Physics news on Phys.org
It should be [itex]\int_1^4\frac{10}{9}x+\frac{8}{9}\,dx[/itex]

Ah, I see... thanks!

1. What is a line integral problem?

A line integral problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves calculating the integral of a function along a given curve or path in a two- or three-dimensional space. It is used to find the total value of a scalar or vector quantity along a specific path.

2. What is the purpose of solving a line integral problem?

The purpose of solving a line integral problem is to determine the total value of a scalar or vector quantity along a specific path. This is useful in many scientific and engineering applications, such as calculating work done by a force along a certain path or finding the electric potential along a path in an electric field.

3. How is a line integral problem solved?

A line integral problem is solved by breaking the given curve or path into small segments and approximating the integral of the function over each segment. This is done using a mathematical technique called Riemann sums. The approximation becomes more accurate as the number of segments increases, and the exact value of the integral is found by taking the limit as the number of segments approaches infinity.

4. What are some common applications of line integral problems?

Some common applications of line integral problems include calculating work done by a force, finding the electric potential or electric field along a path, determining the mass or volume of a three-dimensional object, and finding the center of mass of an object with varying density.

5. Are there any real-world examples of line integral problems?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of line integral problems. One common example is calculating the work done by a force, such as the force of gravity, in moving an object along a curved path. Another example is finding the electric potential along a path in an electric field, which is used in the design of electrical circuits and devices. Line integrals are also used in fluid dynamics to calculate the flow of a fluid along a specific path.