Solve Line Integral Question | Get Math Help from Physics Forums

In summary, the author has provided an answer to the given question, but the reader does not understand how it was computed. They are seeking help from members of Physics Forums and are open to any math help. The given equations show that the potential exists and there is a matter of convention in defining the potential.
WMDhamnekar
MHB
TL;DR Summary
Let g(x) and h(y) be differentiable functions, and let f(x, y) = h(y)i+ g(x)j. Can f have a potential F(x, y)? If so, find it.

You may assume that F would be smooth.
(Hint: Consider the mixed partial derivatives of F.)
I don't have any idea about how to use the hint given by the author.
Author has given the answer to this question i-e F(x,y) = axy + bx + cy +d.
I don't understand how did the author compute this answer.

Would any member of Physics Forums enlighten me in this regard?

Any math help will be accepted.

Physics news on Phys.org
Because
## - \dfrac{\partial F}{\partial x} = h(y) ##
then
## \dfrac{\partial^2 F}{\partial x^2} = 0 ##

And we also have
##\dfrac{\partial^2 F}{\partial x \partial y } = \dfrac{\partial^2 F}{\partial y \partial x } ##

If you just want to show that the potential exists, then show that ##\vec \nabla \times \vec f = 0 ##

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Likes WMDhamnekar
drmalawi said:
Because
## - \dfrac{\partial F}{\partial x} = h(y) ##
then
## \dfrac{\partial^2 F}{\partial x^2} = 0 ##

And we also have
##\dfrac{\partial^2 F}{\partial x \partial y } = \dfrac{\partial^2 F}{\partial y \partial x } ##
Why is the sign negative for ## \frac{\partial{F}}{\partial{x}}= h(y)?## Would you explain that ?

WMDhamnekar said:
Why is the sign negative for ## \frac{\partial{F}}{\partial{x}}= h(y)?## Would you explain that ?

Isn't the potential F(x,y) defined as ##\vec f = - \vec \nabla F## ?

• Informative
Likes WMDhamnekar
drmalawi said:
Isn't the potential F(x,y) defined as ##\vec f = - \vec \nabla F## ?
In the following corollary 4.6 ## \vec f \not= -\vec \nabla F ## Why?
1656595447021.png

WMDhamnekar said:
In the following corollary 4.6 ## \vec f \not= -\vec \nabla F ## Why?
View attachment 303550

Matter of convetion I guess, I have always used ##\vec f = - \vec \nabla F## as the definition as potential. But it does not matter, the math is the same, just follow your books conventions. And also -0 = 0 so...

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus and physics to calculate the total value of a function along a given path. It is represented by a curved line on a graph and is used to find the total area under the curve or the total work done along the path.

How do you solve a line integral question?

To solve a line integral question, you first need to determine the function that is being integrated. Then, you need to choose a parameterization for the path. Next, you need to find the limits of integration and set up the integral. Finally, you can evaluate the integral using calculus techniques such as substitution or integration by parts.

What are some real-life applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have many real-life applications, including calculating the work done by a force along a curved path, finding the electric potential along a wire, and determining the mass of a wire with varying density. They are also used in physics to calculate the flux of a vector field through a surface and in engineering to determine the stress and strain on a structure.

What are some common mistakes when solving line integral questions?

Some common mistakes when solving line integral questions include forgetting to choose the correct parameterization for the path, using the wrong limits of integration, and making errors in the integration process. It is also important to pay attention to the orientation of the path, as this can affect the final result.

Are there any tools or techniques that can make solving line integral questions easier?

Yes, there are several tools and techniques that can make solving line integral questions easier. These include using software such as Wolfram Alpha or Mathematica to perform the calculations, using symmetry to simplify the integral, and breaking the path into smaller, simpler segments to evaluate separately. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of calculus and practice regularly to improve problem-solving skills.