Line Integral Question on Mr. Nerdy Forum - Get Answers Now!

In summary, the conversation discusses the correctness of using a trigonometric identity in solving an integral. The conclusion is that both methods result in the correct answer of 7/3.
denian
http://www.mrnerdy.com/forum_img/ask.JPG

is the first stepc orrect?
TQ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
yep, everything looks good.

Yes, that's correct.

But (I guess) you've used a trig identity: [itex]z'(t)=2\sin t \cos t=\sin(2t)[/itex] in the last term. This will not make your integral easier. Best leave it as [itex]2\sin t \cos t[/itex].

thank you very much, eok and galileo!

i get 7/6
but when i follow galileo's advice, i get 7/3

please help me verify again. TQ.

The correct answer is 7/3 but it shouldn't matter whether you use that trig identity or not.

tq. i'll try to check back this question later.

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the integral of a function along a specified curve or path. It is used in various fields of science and engineering to analyze the relationship between a function and its path of integration.

2. How do I solve a line integral?

To solve a line integral, you first need to determine the limits of integration and the integrand, which is the function being integrated. Then, you can use various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or line integration formulas to solve the integral.

3. What are some applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to calculate work done by a force, find the area under a curve, determine the mass of a wire, and solve problems involving electric and magnetic fields.

4. How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A line integral differs from a regular integral in that it involves integrating a function along a specified path or curve, rather than over a certain interval. This means that the limits of integration are not just constant numbers, but they can vary depending on the path of integration.

5. Can I use a computer to solve a line integral?

Yes, you can use a computer to solve a line integral. There are various software programs and online tools available that can help you with the calculations. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the underlying concepts and techniques before relying solely on a computer to solve a line integral.