Calculate Line Integral of Vector Field f(x,y) over Curve C | Homework Problem

In summary, the conversation was about calculating the integral f · dr for a given vector field and curve using the formula F · dr. The vector field was <(x^2+y^2), 0> and the curve was defined by x = 2 + cos t, y = sin t, and 0 ≤ t ≤ 2π. The solution was found to be 0, but there was some confusion about the vector function F only having an i component and whether or not there was an error in the problem. Both the person asking the question and the respondent were self-teaching themselves Multivariable Calculus using an online book and Youtube lectures.
stratusfactio

Homework Statement

calculate the integral f · dr for the given vector field f(x, y) and curve C:
f(x, y) = (x^2 + y^2) i; C : x = 2 + cos t, y = sin t, 0 ≤ t ≤ 2π (2pi)

Homework Equations

Would the vector F simply be <(x^2+y^2),0> since there is no j component?
The solution is 4pi and I'm getting zero.

The Attempt at a Solution

integral of C = F · dr
F = <((2+cos t)^2 + (sin t)^2),o> = <(5 + 4 cos t), 0>
dr = <-sin t, cos t>

Integral of C [0, 2pi] <(5 + 4 cos t), 0> · <-sin t, cos t> = 0 :(

I'm thinking that my error lies in the vector I'm using for F.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the problem is exactly as you stated, then the correct answer is 0.

That's right, the F vector function only has a i component. It would be equivalent as writing it as F(x,y) = <x^2 + y^2, 0>

BTW I posted this same exact problem. :P where did you find this?

^Haha. I'm self teaching myself Multivariable Calculus using this online book: http://www.mecmath.net/calc3book.pdf in conjuction with Youtube's UCBerkely Multivariable Calc lectures.

It's just weird because I did all the steps and analyzed each step and can't see where I went wrong...we may be right because I see you got 0 too, sometimes the books make errors. I just don't see how we can get 4pi when we're evaluating an integral involving trig. when it's going to give us a rational number.

I was doing the same with that same book. :P There were a few other errors too in other parts. I think the book just needs more revising.

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral that is calculated along a curve or path in two or three dimensions. It is used to measure the total effect of a vector field along a specific path.

What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical function that assigns a vector quantity to each point in space. It can represent physical quantities such as velocity, force, or electric field.

How do you calculate a line integral?

To calculate a line integral, you first need to parametrize the curve C by defining a function r(t) that describes the path. Then, the line integral is calculated using the formula ∫Cf(x,y)·dr = ∫abf(x(t),y(t))·r'(t)dt, where a and b are the starting and ending points of the curve, and r'(t) is the derivative of r(t).

What is the significance of calculating a line integral?

Calculating a line integral can help us understand the overall behavior of a vector field along a specific path. It can also be used to solve problems in physics and engineering, such as finding the work done by a force along a certain path.

What are some applications of line integrals?

Line integrals are used in various fields, including physics, engineering, computer graphics, and fluid dynamics. Some common applications include calculating work done by a force, finding the flux of a vector field, and determining the circulation of a fluid flow.