Line Integral: Computing for $\int _1 ^2 V(x)dx$

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of a line integral from point (1,1,0) to point (2,2,0) along the path of the least distance, which follows the identity function. The integral can be expressed purely in terms of x and can be computed using the limits of 1 to 2. The use of x as a parameter is also mentioned as a more intuitive way to understand the integration process.
mathsciguy
Suppose I have a vector V and I want to compute for the line integral from point (1,1,0) to point (2,2,0) and I take the path of the least distance (one that traces the identity function).

The line integral is of the form:
[tex] \int _a ^b \vec{V} \cdot d\vec{l} [/tex]

Where:

[tex] x=y, \ d\vec{l} =dx \hat{x} + dx \hat{y} [/tex]

Thus the integral can be computed purely in terms of x (can also be y), which looks something like this:
[tex] \int _a ^b V(x)dx [/tex]

What I don't exactly understand is why is it okay to use the limits like this:
[tex] \int _1 ^2 V(x)dx [/tex]

Why can we use the limits from 1 to 2 if we express the line integral in terms purely of x. I have a very vague idea of why it is, but I'd rather take it from people who actually know this to explain this to me. Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If I understand you correctly, the function you end up integrating is only in terms of ##x##, and therefore you don't need to parametrize it (or you can look at it by saying you are using ##x## as your parameter). Either way, because your function is dependent only on ##x##, all you have to do is integrate along the x-axis, which is from 1 to 2.

Actually, I've found out that to 'parametrize' the variables into x=t, y=t is a more comforting method to do it. At least intuitively, I see it as tracing the path of integration when we set the x and y variables into that parametric equation.

Edit: Yes, I didn't see it, but I was using x as the parameter. Thanks.

Last edited:

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the total value of a function along a specific path or curve.

2. How do you compute a line integral?

To compute a line integral, you first need to parametrize the curve or path you are integrating over. This means expressing the x and y coordinates of the curve in terms of a variable, usually t. Then, you plug this parametrization into the line integral formula, which involves taking the integral of the function along the curve with respect to the parameter t.

3. What is the purpose of computing a line integral?

The purpose of computing a line integral is to find the total value of a function along a specific path. This is useful in many applications, such as calculating work done by a force, finding the average value of a function along a curve, or calculating flux in vector fields.

4. What are the limits of integration for a line integral?

The limits of integration for a line integral depend on the parametrization of the curve. Generally, the limits are the starting and ending values of the parameter t. For example, if the curve is parametrized from t=0 to t=1, then the limits of integration would be 0 and 1.

5. How do you choose the parametrization for a line integral?

Choosing the parametrization for a line integral depends on the specific problem you are trying to solve. In some cases, the parametrization may be given to you. In others, you may need to choose a parametrization that simplifies the integral or makes it easier to evaluate. Generally, a good parametrization should cover the entire curve and be easy to integrate.