1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integral

1. Nov 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

∫(y-x)dx+xydy

c: the line segment from (3,4)to(2,1)

First thing I did was get the formula for the slop of the line segment, getting the relation

y=3x-5

I then parametrizided with x=t which gave y=3t-5

dx=dt and dy=3

plugging in I get the following integral

∫-9t+13t-15dt

I dont know how to find the limits of integration though. I tried using (4,1) and just inserting a negative in front of the integral in order to reverse it to the correct order, but still did not get the correct value.

Which is -39/2

Thanks again

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2012 #2

Mute

Homework Helper

Your initial point is ##(x(t),y(t)) = (3,4)##, so for which value of t does x=3, y=4 in your parametrization? Similarly, your final point is (2,1), so for what value of t is x=2, y=1? If the the time for the final point is less than the time for the initial point, you can do as you suggested and flip the limits by introducing an overall negative sign to the integral. I'm not sure if by "(4,1)" that is supposed to be your limits of integration, but if so, those are not the correct limits.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook