1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integral

1. Jan 24, 2014 #1

etf

Here is my task and my attempt of solution:

line.jpg

How to use fact that C is positively orientated viewed from point (10,0,0)? I'm not sure I understand it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It would be much more convenient for us if you would type your question and work on this site instead of posting un-editable images and which require us to open another window.

4. Jan 24, 2014 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Me neither. Perhaps it meant (0,0,10). I would just work it going either direction for ##\theta## and see what happens.

5. Jan 24, 2014 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Here is the image:
    attachment.php?attachmentid=65981&d=1390608864.jpg

Is C supposed to be a closed path ?

6. Jan 24, 2014 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It's closed alright. Here's a picture of it:

curve.jpg

7. Jan 25, 2014 #6

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes the intersection makes a complete loop, but if the instruction is correct regarding the view from (10, 0, 0), then only part of that path is oriented in a positive direction.

That's why I asked (the OP) if the path is supposed to be closed. If so then the point (10, 0, 0) is incorrect as you have suggested.

8. Jan 25, 2014 #7

etf

I didn't learn latex yet so that's reason why I'm posting images. I could write my equations here but I thought it would be much easier for you to follow if I "draw" it using MathType software.

It's (10,0,0) point, I didn't make mistake... I'm still uncertain about solving this problem...
    I forgot to write, result is pi.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  9. Jan 25, 2014 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It isn't.

I think you had best ask your Teacher to clarify. It makes sense to talk about clockwise or counterclockwise orientation if you look down at it along the ##z## axis, but not from out the ##x## axis. And I don't see any interpretation of the problem that gives ##\pi## for the answer. Are you sure you copied the integral itself correctly?

10. Jan 25, 2014 #9

etf

I copied it correctly. I will ask teacher for help.
    Thanks anyway!

11. Jan 25, 2014 #10

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would be interested to know what your teacher tells you.

12. Jan 25, 2014 #11

etf

I will inform you as soon as he explain me.

13. Jan 25, 2014 #12

etf

Here are few examples with similar statement:

1.Find [tex]\int\limits_C{} {{y^2}dx + xdy + zdz}[/tex] where C is curve formed by intersection of [tex]{x^2} + {y^2} = x + y[/tex] and [tex]2({x^2} + {y^2}) = z[/tex] orientated positively viewed from point (0,0,2R). (Result 0)

2.Find [tex]\int\limits_C {(y - z)dx + (z - x)dy + (x - y)} dz\\[/tex] where C is curve formed by intersection of [tex]{x^2} + {y^2} = {a^2}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{x}{a} + \frac{z}{h} = 1[/tex] (a greather than 0, h greather than 0), passed in positive direction viewed from point (2a,0,0). (Result -2*pi*a*(a+h))

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted