Line Integral

Homework Statement

Hi there! So I'm working on an old homework problem for review so that I actually have the solution, but I'm not sure how to compute a certain part. Here it is:

$$\int \int rcos^2(\theta)dr - r^2cos(\theta)\sin(\theta)d\theta$$

Homework Equations

The solution involves (what I think is) a rewrite of $$dr$$ in terms of $$d\theta$$, but I don't follow the substitutions the author makes.

The Attempt at a Solution

Any thoughts on how to approach a problem like this? Thanks!

Answers and Replies

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Hi there! So I'm working on an old homework problem for review so that I actually have the solution, but I'm not sure how to compute a certain part. Here it is:

$$\int \int rcos^2(\theta)dr - r^2cos(\theta)\sin(\theta)d\theta$$

Homework Equations

The solution involves (what I think is) a rewrite of $$dr$$ in terms of $$d\theta$$, but I don't follow the substitutions the author makes.

The Attempt at a Solution

Any thoughts on how to approach a problem like this? Thanks!

You have titled this thread "line integral". But it doesn't look like a line integral since it is a double integral. You haven't given us a statement of the problem or any equations to work with. We aren't mind readers.

Well, the original problem is to compute the line integral of $$v= r\cos^2(\theta)\hat{r} -r\cos(\theta)\sin(\theta)\hat{\theta} +3r \hat{\phi}$$ around a path depicted in the text. The path, in terms of spherical coordinates, runs as follows, broken into 3 segments:

1) $$r:0 \rightarrow 1, \theta = \frac{\pi}{2}, \phi = 0$$

2) $$r=1, \theta= \frac{\pi}{2}, \phi: 0 \rightarrow \frac{\pi}{2}$$

3) $$r: 1 \rightarrow \sqrt{5}, \phi = \frac{\pi}{2}, \theta: \frac{\pi}{2} \rightarrow \arctan(1/2)$$

The integral comes from computing the dot product of v with dl along the third path. I didn't inclue the rest of the problem since my question is one of how to reduce th double integral to a single integral in theta, as the author did in the solution.

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Assuming that (3) is a straight line, you can parametrize it using the angle ##\theta## as the curve parameter. You can then use the relation ##dr = \frac{dr}{d\theta} d\theta## (essentially the chain rule) to rewrite the differential. Note that what you want for ##r(\theta)## is a linear function such that ##r(\pi/2) = 1## and ##r(\arctan(1/2)) = \sqrt 5##.

Likes leonardthecow
Ah thank you! That's the step I was missing, 3 is a straight line. This is exactly what I needed.